Homemade Ground Penetrating Radar for Privy hunting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Rufus

Reaction score
slakoper,My goal is to sell the unit "Pelican case enclosed" and rugged ground cart with Windows software for the price of a high end Minelab detector ; the GPX5000 sells for over $5000 new. My price goal is less than $5000 and hopefully less than $4000. GPR systems from GSSI or Mala start at $12,000. Hopefully with a good volume and reduced production effort less......Karl

Rufus

Reaction score
cacarpetbagger,Well it works well, see plot on first page of 10 foot privy under asphalt. It is just I want to make it as good or better than $12K commercial units. The antenna shown for my latest unit is far superior to commercial units. Have seen the interior of 4 different commercial units and they all use simple lump loaded bowtie antennas like my second unit. My current antenna design is based on a genetic algorithm from a University in Spain and instead of the normal 30-40 percent efficiency it is 97% efficient. Keep ya posted,Karl

westKYdigger

Reaction score
This is fascinating. Could you post some pics of the different types of readings you get in different situations? Like an urban setting, a hayfield & wooded lot.Thanks

Rufus

Reaction score
WestKYdigger,Will post some more plots once I finish the third unit. Will try to give a variety of plots; at least what Arizona can provide. Have a real nice Pelican case coming for this one, so should look good as well as work well.Thanks for your interest, Karl

Rufus

Reaction score
Admin,Thanks very much for the link; will check it out because I am just a one man show for now. I work full time also as an Engineer so time is scarce......Will be digging this weekend as I must pull some bottles out of the ground....Happy New Year, Karl

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
caldigs said:
I worked with a GPR unit for a few months and found it to be nearly worthless. It did find a few holes, but it certainly missed more than it found. The GPR only found pits that had a lot of metal,bricks, or really shallow trash. Essentially it found the new or shallow pits. Textbook pits with clean caps deeper than 3 feet were not detected by the machine. I have a feeling it will be quite some time before a machine can outperform the basic probe.
Agree 100% if it ain't broke dont fix it. The simpler things in life are always the best in my eyes. Rember,it is the man behind the probe that finds the pits ;-) Cool project though I am sure someome will buy one.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger