Starting over.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey all . I've had a little trouble trying to post but that seems to be fixed now. I started this post with the heading starting over because just at the end of 2013 I sold my collection . So here I go starting over. I went last weekend and picked up Red Matthews and he and I went to the St. Petersburg bottle show. He's a great guy with bondless knowledge of glass making and it was a pleasure to make his aquatints . Nice show it was to .Dummy me forgot my camera though. It was funny that I saw about a 1/3 of my old collection spread out amongst 5 or 6 of the collectors at the show also. Any way here's a few bottles I picked up to start me up again. I'm sure I'll be doing more buying than digging sense I've moved down south. Just not as many places to dig for me now. First is a shot of three of my recent buys. A. Miller case gin, next a pontiled mustard embossed Kentucky, then Nau's Remedy. Thanks for looking and good luck digging and finding all. Well it seem I still can't post pictures yet I'll work on it sorry . Bill

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's quite a drive, I'm glad you went and I know Red had a fun. I hope maybe this spring I can meet up with him in NY, we've never met. I know he like the corning museum and I'd like to get there again too.I bought this the last time I was there. 196?. IDK, I was somewhere around 6 or 8.[attachment=IMGP0032.jpg]

Attachments

• 0d9f1d8604644e688e367d0e2cd0d8ba.jpg
    0d9f1d8604644e688e367d0e2cd0d8ba.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 88

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well THANK YOU again Bill, for taking me. It was a great chance to share our bottle interest and I still smile when I remember the day. It was a full amount of exercise for me - but it was a good show. And Eric - I would be thrilled to meet with you in NY and maybe we could go over to the Corning Museum together. There is a lot to see there - and I have two special glass items to take there next summer that represent some great early glass making skills. Our home in NY is about 30 miles from the museum. Life is short and at 84 one can't schedule too much more.Thanks to both of you for being in my life. RED Matthews

splante

Reaction score
none of my business,but I was wondering why you sold your entire collection and now starting over? you can tell me myob and I wont be offended.I know a few who sold out but moved onto another hobby just wondering.

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey all. First your very welcome Red I had a great time. As far as the collection go's. Sense I've moved back to Florida this summer I was planning to sale a few pieces to maybe buy a boat. While showing a guy some bottles he asked what I would take for them all. I spit out a number he said great here's a down payment I'll be back with the rest in a few day. Now the rest is history. Oh yes and now I have a nice little boat to flats and bass fish from. Even the Butler went. I saw it at the St. Petersburg bottle show me and Red went to and started to buy it back but didn't .Bill

sandchip

Reaction score
That was a great bottle. Holler at me if you ever make it up into Georgia.

glass man

Reaction score
I have sold three bottle collections since 1974 [well two and a good portion of the third]..the first time was to shut my first wife up bout them.[collected patent meds only..my goal..to get every bottle in Baldwins PATENT MED BOOK..a lofty goal .].she left me any way...shoulda kept the bottles and let her go![8D] The next time I sold all but my cathedral bottles just cause I wanted too make some money and just start off a new collection... The last time was cause we needed the money each year for property taxes [you never really own a house or property..if you don't believe me just quit paying taxes and see what happens!! [:)]] Sold that[this] collection slowly ..but we live in an apartment now so no property taxes or unreal utility bills..old house built in 1900 high heating and cooling costs...the bottles I have left is my collection and I hope I don't have to sell again for years now!!I even got to add a couple in FEB....can only afford cheaper bottles...but that is great by me!! I wish all on here could meet up some where some time..that would be nice..we could be rude to each other face to face instead of just writing it on here..now wouldn't that be nice? A fight would break out...I would get pinned down by somebody...but SICK RICK ND MR. FRED would [I HOPE!!] come to my rescue..the MODERATORS would calm all down and we would have a great time![:)] COOL YOU GOT A BOAT BILL! Man would love to go fishing with you and would love to visit with my hero and person we all respect on here "RED" Matthews. I understand bout seeing your old collection...for a few years I saw parts of mine at different places..I painted the embossing with oil paint and knew each one well as I spent hours for a few years picking each one up and looking at it over and over...man the prices of a good many have gone up over the years...yet the Warner's safe cure really hasn't at much...could get them for 8 dollars all day long in the 70's...I miss my "super mint "HUCKLEBERRY CORDIAL" that had a great "bird swing" in it..my "Globe flower cough syrup" [made by th inventor of coca cola Pemberton]..really miss my "BUDWELL'S EMULSION" etc...great cobalt bottle..loaded with embossing ..I gave 5 dollars for it back then...you want find one for that price now..AH I could go on forever and just about have!![:-] Any hoo..glad to see you are back collecting again BILL and have a boat!! LOVE YA BROTHER!! JAMIE

dollarbill

Reaction score
Hey Jamie any time brother man. I'm always up for a day on the boat. Red only live about 45 min. from me in the winter time. He's a great guy with a lot of knowledge to learn from. Hope things are well with you and your Nina .Bill

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac