Rams Horn Insulators

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
Spotted these on the side of the local market yesterday. The guy working let me climb up onto the roof and unscrew them. They had the hard threaded rubber/plastic on them but I took it off as I didn't realize what it was for. I think they look better without it anyway. Anyone know what the B stands for?[attachment=IMG_0120.JPG]

Attachments

• C6531D5D1F504A1CA144B319AF87E0C3.JPG
    C6531D5D1F504A1CA144B319AF87E0C3.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 123

botlguy

Reaction score
I believe the "B" stands for Brooks, nor Brookfield. In my opinion you ruined the Insulator collector value by not leaving them original. Not a huge monetary loss as they are not all that valuable in original condition. If you like them better in this condition I guess that's what matters most.

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
They had the flared skirt I believe and when I was unscrewing them the skirts were breaking off. My thought then was that the hard rubber looked like a newer, makeshift altercation. Guess not. There's a few more high up on another building. Ill see if I can get access to them tomorrow and be careful not to break the skirt or threads. Spotted a glass side tab or spool bolted up to the side of the memorial hall building in a dark alley sitting in its original hardware. There's a window right next to it so I'm gonna try and get that too.

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
The pronounced six sided spike at the end of these ram horns is interesting. Why would they be made like that If they were just going to cover it up with rubber anyway?

botlguy

Reaction score
I believe they were not made to unscrew, I think they were intended to be all one piece. If you can get the entire thing we may be able to shed more light. I am not real familiar with this type insulator but there is definite interest in them.

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
Well I tried to reach a third rams horn from a second story window this morning but it was out of reach. I could go back with a ladder but it doesn't seem worth the time. These are what Im finding:http://www.insulators.info/articles/early/images/sixhooks.jpgThe ones on the market were screwed into a board that was bolted onto the stone. Just looked like a plain board nothing insulator related. The one I tried to get today is screwed right into the side of an old mill/shop, right into the wood on the building. And the glass insulator turned out to be a porcelain spool that looks like glass in the twilight hours. Tear.

botlguy

Reaction score
O.K., Thanks for the pix, different animal from what I pictured in my head. I forgot about that type. It would still be best to have it complete but still neat to have. Thanks for your effort in sharing.

botlguy

Reaction score
Well, there ya' go. More and better information than I was able to input. I knew it was out there but not how to go get it. That's what happens when you think you know everything. [8D]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Well, there ya' go. More and better information than I was able to input. I knew it was out there but not how to go get it. That's what happens when you think you know everything. [8D]
I know what ya mean Jim. If the OP hadn't found the image, I'd have seen nothing.[:)] I never heard of the animal.[:D] Rams, yes, as insulators, no.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac