Rumford Baking Soda Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleCap

Reaction score
Recently dug up a Rumford 5 Baking Soda Bottle; ie, the number "5" is stamped on the bottom of the bottle. Have seen dozens of identical or very similar bottles on the internet; however, the vast majority of them have no number stamped on the bottom. I did come across a #32, a #7, and reference to a #6. Question is: What is the significance of these numbers? I have found conversations mentioning these numbers, but no discussion about what they mean. Any ideas?

Attachments

• c28df05f181b4b24bc68e19d7f00c3ba.jpg
    c28df05f181b4b24bc68e19d7f00c3ba.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 7cf9b90c16474423ab49a0f7dea9639c.jpg
    7cf9b90c16474423ab49a0f7dea9639c.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 197

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Hi Ron,Unfortunately numbers almost always have no significant meanings. In some cases there will be a date code for certain glass companies, but only if their trademark is embossed as well. Nearly all "plain" numbers on the bottom of a bottle indicate a mold number. For a bottle as common as this one there might have been 50 different molds, so you could find numbers 1-50 if that was the case. What does this mean to a collector? Pretty much nothing. The only time I have seen a number affect the value of a bottle is when superstitious people try to hype up fruit jars with #13 on the base.

botlguy

Reaction score
I agree with Taylor and add that I believe the jar is from Rumford CHEMICAL company rather than baking soda. Never knew baking soda to come in a glass container. I will admit I could be wrong and await a correction.

botlguy

Reaction score
I agree with Taylor and add that I believe the jar is from Rumford CHEMICAL company rather than baking soda. Never knew baking soda to come in a glass container. I will admit I could be wrong and await a correction.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I don't know if they packaged baking soda, they made baking powder which is different. They sold other stuff as medicinal and a drink mix but basically the same product although some were in liquid form. One product was called and labelled Yeast Powder and that's my guess for this one.

Aloysia

Reaction score
A man named Eben Horsford developed a variety "Horsford's Yeast Powder" which was an already-mixed leavening agent, which is different than the product we call "baking soda" today. In the mid 1860s his product was packaged in bottles, but Horsford was interested in using metal cans for packing. This meant the mixture had to be more moisture resistant. So he went that route. I believe the manufacturing plant was in Rhode Island.
He and another gentleman opened Rumford Chemical Works where the products were manufactured.

BottleCap

Reaction score
I was of your opinion also, botlguy, that baking soda never came in glass bottle. However, in the same dig right next to this Rumford bottle, I found a another bottle that is almost identical to it in size and shape and it is embossed: "Davis O K Baking Powder". (Also found "Ayer's / Hair Vigor" blue bottle!) If they were bottling baking powder, they might as well have bottled baking soda.Thanks everybody for all of your responses! This is my introduction into the world of old bottles and my first ever post. Found these bottles (and 4 more) while working on the plumbing under a very old house. Got to go back and look for the glass top for that Ayer's bottle.

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Your timing was good, I just won this off ebay last week. Should answer a lot of questions!
12554585423_611f288220_z.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu