Rumford Baking Soda Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Level

Reaction score
Very cool!! I live on the Severn River just up from the US Naval Academy. When we get a stiff wind down the river for a few days, we have a beach for a few hours as the water is pushed into the bay and the river level drops. My husband and I try to search the beach when this happens and Saturday we pulled up about 10 intact bottles and another lot of broken ones. They range in size and age but we found out second Rumford aqua bottle. From what I'm told, they would take baking powder on the boats in these glass bottles with corks to keep the dampness out of the powder. Both of our kids were born in RI so these are the most special finds to us. My research tells me that they're from before the 1920's but I would love to hear anything else you all know about them! Thanks.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I wasn't aware of these yeast bottles, but, it's hard to miss the colorful Rumford bottles.
rumfordpair.jpg

saratogadriver

Reaction score
So the same Rumford Chemical Works that created the great teal chemical bottles is also the originating company of Rumford's Baking Powder? Kinda looks that way. Interesting.

Jim G

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu