Antique? Older than 50 years old?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cbeehner

Reaction score
Says Crown Prod. Corp. on the bottom, with a 74 and an 8 with S.F. - L.A. I found it and would like to know when it was made. Thanks

Attachments

• 91fd4640701649939c2376410ee2ae38.jpg
    91fd4640701649939c2376410ee2ae38.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 198

epackage

Reaction score
I'm thinking 1940-50's vinegar bottle.... Unless the 74 is for 1974, but that form looks older to me

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hello, it looks like ketchup or vinegar from the 30's. It wouldn't be considered an antique but it is over 50 years. I think the recognized standard is 100 years in the US now.

cbeehner

Reaction score
A little more history on this bottle... I am a Peace Officer working on a Arch site theft case and this bottle was recovered by myself and an additional officer. I would really appreciate if anyone can confirm the exact year of the bottle. Per our laws it mustbe 50 years or older to be an Archaeological item, in order to successfully charge the subject. The lettering on the bottom states... Crown Prod Corp. S.F. - L.A. In the middle of the bottle is has a 74 and below the 74 is a circle with a letter L inside and below the L circle is an 8. If anyone can point me in the right direction in a research finding on the exact production date or how they came across the correct data. Or how I may be able to obtain the correct information, so I can prove it in a court of law. Please see attached image. Thanks,

Attachments

• 2a1500ec5b9b4d789c0397f498cf828e.jpg
    2a1500ec5b9b4d789c0397f498cf828e.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 117

epgorge

Reaction score
It is hard to say from looking at the base. Can you send a picture of the entire bottle, particularly the lip, sides and any features the glass holds, such as embossing or markings. The lip can tell me a lot. From the bottom it looks like a quart soda bottle. Any marks on the bottom are probably mold numbers, in they make many different molds of some bottles because they wear out of something changes from the original mold. That being said, sometimes the number does reflect the year it was produced. Some milk bottles do that. Is there a seam that goes up the side and stops before the top? This bottle from the base appears to be an ACL (soda or quart bottle made from an automatic bottling machine). Even if it were a 50 year old antiquity, it probably wouldn't be that valuable. A buck item unless some collector happens to need that particular piece of glass to complete a collection. Epgorge

epgorge

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't see the first picture. That is most definitely a sauce bottle. Probably ketchup. The threads are farther apart and only two twists. That is the way to date this bottle. Go to Bill Lindsey's excellent sight on bottles. Here is a link to the dating. You want to look at the twists in the top that hold the cap. I believe it to be before 1950. http://www.sha.org/bottle/dating.htm. It is just one part of a voluminous site on the morphology of glass making on this continent. Here is a link to just the tops and twists and base ID, I mentioned: http://www.sha.org/bottle...adedating.htm#Question 12Hope this helps. I don't like thieves.ep

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Are you in Oregon? They have the toughest laws that I'm aware of. The bottle is a 10 cent bottle if someone might want to put a long stemmed rose in it. Otherwise it's recyclable and that's about it now.The mark sounds like Latchford but they were in operation from 1925-89. I'm not sure if they used a date system.I'm going with 1938 as a wild assumption but unless your charging the suspect with other crimes it seams like a complete waste of yours and the courts time, not to mention tax dollars.No offense..

epgorge

Reaction score
For some reason I assume he is Canadian. Hard to say what is a waste of time when we know little about the facts. My dad use to say He "would rather live with a thief than a liar", because he could always secure his things.My grandmother would quickly retort, "show me a thief and I will show you a liar". The sight I linked you to is just what you need to prove a time line in a court case as the web pages were done professionally and researched and put together by an employee (at the time) of the interior Department of the U.S. Government. Bill Lindsey is his name and if you need his expertise contact me privately and I will give you his email address or other contact information. He is retired and living in Oregon with his wife enjoying his leisure time fishing. Enjoy your work week.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I browsed a little and New York is actually 50 years according the the STATE MUSEUM.Oregon is 75 years but the government site there.Of coarse things from a archeological dig site and state land are different.New York.The legislation generally describes the protected resources as "any object of archeological or paleontological interest." In general, objects deposited on state lands that are less than 50 years old are not considered to be of "archeological interest." However, there may be specific collecting policies that prevent the removal of such objects of even relatively recent vintage (such as in State Parks or State Historic Sites).......... Crown was huge and went way outside SF and LA but it may be Calif. I had to many links for them so I stopped looking..

surfaceone

Reaction score
cbeehner said:
A little more history on this bottle... I am a Peace Officer working on a Arch site theft case and this bottle was recovered by myself and an additional officer. I would really appreciate if anyone can confirm the exact year of the bottle. Per our laws it mustbe 50 years or older to be an Archaeological item, in order to successfully charge the subject...
Hello Officer Beehner, Perhaps you can provide some more information on this archeological site. What you have is a mid 20th Century vinegar bottle. I do not believe that you can closely date it. It has no value, other than as a recyclable. Where in our country can someone be busted for picking up trash? The idea of this is quite disturbing to me. The minimum age for something to be a "genuine" antique is 100 years. "L in an oval (or a circle, somewhat horizontally flattened, seen on bottles)……….W.J.Latchford Glass Company, Los Angeles, California (1925-1938); this became the Latchford-Marble Glass Company (1938-1956); and then, Latchford Glass Company (1957-c.1989). Mark was first used approximately 1925, although during the “Latchford-Marble” era, the mark “LM in an oval” was used instead." http://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks-3/
$_57.JPG

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora