Did I do something wrong?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MedBottle1

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Have any of you ever dealt with eBay member "totherafters"? This person listed a Macon, Ga Straight Side Coke that was deformed to being exposed to extreme heat in a garbage dump many years ago. I contacted him and asked if I could pick the bottle up if I "Bought it now" because I was only 30 minutes away to which he said that was fine and he would leave it at his house on the porch. I then asked him that well, since i would be in the area, did he have any other bottles, specifically medicine bottles, he would be wanting to sell also. Figured it would be a win win for us both. He replied that he was going to renege on his offer for me to pick it up and if I wanted it he would ship it. If it wasn't on eBay he didnt have it and because of my question he was sorry for even extending an invitation for me to pick it up. He went on to say that is the reason he usually doe not let people pick up items from him because they think it is an invitation to look for other items. I promptly apologized and told him that was not the case, just that if he had anything else he was trying to sell quickly that I would be interested in buying whatever he had. I apologized a second time and left it at that. He then accused me of being a pushy buyer. I then apologized a third time and told him i was sorry for asking him a question. I stopped watching the bottle because in the end I didn't like where this was going nor did I like the $24.99 price. :(

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I don't think you did anything wrong, some people just don't take that stuff well I guess...[>:]

botlguy

Reaction score
Naw, you didn't do anything wrong. It takes all kinds to make up the world. He may be sensitive in this world of cheats and unscrupulous people. I think you did just right. Forget it.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
He may be sensitive in this world of cheats and unscrupulous people.
Trust is a lost art it seams. I did and agreed to stuff local all the time in the past. I loved it and still would! Met some good people and exchanged conversation and we both saved shipping money. I had a sale a little while ago and was made a best offer. I replied I could drop it off for that but may have to give them the $6 in cash (wasn't sure how to do an invoice). I even said it would work for me since the grocery is 2 miles away from them and I could do some needed shopping while I was up there. I could have used to $3 in gas to kill the two bird and he could've saved $6.He said no thanks. I guess he wanted me to only get $3 for the bottle after fees and shipping. Oops, I forgot the $2 in gas I would have used to go to the PO and back, make that $1 for the bottle.[:D] Go figure?

NHkeith

Reaction score
Some people don't want others coming to their homes. possibly snoop around? maybe? I buy bottles from a guy 2 towns over from me through ebay. I tried meeting up a few times, but it never worked out. He had been in an accident and had a partial amputation. so after hearing that story i understand..A. some people are privateB. we don't always know the whole storyC. ebay still connects buyers and sellers even if its only virtually..

MedBottle1

Reaction score
True, I never want to meet at anyone's house and asked if we could meet somewhere public. You never know these days...oh well.

MNJars

Reaction score
I don't think you did anything wrong. I once listed about 20 jars and bottles on ebay and got a question asking if local pickup was ok on one of them. I said sure, even though I had never done that before. The lady promptly placed bids on about 6 of my items. We met in the parking lot of a Target store and I brought her 6 plus 10 other different jars and bottles that were similar to what she bought. She bought about half of those too. It worked out wonderfully.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18