Couple more unmarked bottles (?)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ddfooks

Reaction score
Hello everyone,I have 2 more bottles I'm wondering about. Also, can you recommend a good website where I ( not knowing much about bottles ) could go and scroll through photo's to try find what I'm looking for. Tall order; I know ; but would possibly save bothering everyone with mundane posts !Tnks

Attachments

• 76adaa35829e4a018d61ea061d2dece1.jpg
    76adaa35829e4a018d61ea061d2dece1.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 68
  • a257697c123b4b1b9dcb59e057b6ba94.jpg
    a257697c123b4b1b9dcb59e057b6ba94.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 60

botlguy

Reaction score
Hi again Dave. Many of us on these forums have been collecting for many years. For me it's been over 45 years. We have had the privilege and pleasure of digging or finding such bottles and then spending hours pouring over the rudimentary bottle books that identified such items. These opportunities are less these days but at the same time are enhanced by the presence of such things as the internet and Facebook. Unmarked or unlabeled bottles are generally identified by their shape as having contained certain TYPES of items such as Liquor; Food products; Medicine; Cosmetic; etc. There is no hard and fast rule but it usually works out in that manner. Your Purple bottle typically held a Liquor product, probably some sort of Whiskey (or Whisky if from across the pond). It's value is in the color and would be of interest only to a non-collector generally. The color appears as if it may have been artificially enhanced by exposure to non natural light sources. In other words, it could have been "Nuked". Glass that had Manganese introduced to de-colorize (make colorless) often turn "Amethyst" or "Purple" due to the exposure to ultra-violet or natural sunlight rays. This action typically dates the manufacture to 1880 to the beginning of World War one when Manganese ceased to be used due to it's shortage. We like bottles with "Talking". The other bottle is probably a Food container, probably British and again has minimal value to a true collector and for the same reasons. It's color looks normal and due to the natural impurities in the available sand, the major material in glass manufacture. That's all the time I have now, I would have to re-produce one of those early books that were so helpful. Seems most people care little about such things nowadays.

ddfooks

Reaction score
Well thanks Jim - I really appreciate you taking the time to pass all that on - I'll just keep going with the websites I have and like you say, someday I'll get to recognize the shapes a little better to at least have a starting point !One of these times when we go down to Jalapenos in Sandpoint for lunch and we have time, maybe we could venture your way and have a look at your collection .CheersDave

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I agree with Jim. Un-embossed and non pattern bottles are generally not collected, they need an attribute. The sauce you had was interesting with the form and quite nice. Plain stuff just doesn't have much interest.I have a few books from the 60's and 70's and they may say $1-2 but that was before the internet. Those types are more known now and more common to find. If there was something like a base mark, pontil or something indicating an early glass maker that would be different but those seem more turn on the 20th century.I don't think being in Canada makes a difference but it may.

ddfooks

Reaction score
Thanks Eric - I'm more along the lines right now of the 'non-collector' attitude ; that being if it looks old and "purdee" then it must be valuable !! I look at the sea of bottles (mixed in with some insulators ) that I was given to sell and I think "Where do I start " ? The person that had them knows probably less than I do at this point, so no help there.....Anyway, it's very nice to have access to forums with people that help one out !TnksDave

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've never collected or researched insulators but there is a category for them here. Some do well, some not to well. Canadian types may be rarer, I don't know.

ddfooks

Reaction score
Ever since I owned a computer ( 15 years now ) anything I needed a log-in to I wrote down in a little book. If I ever lost that book I'd have to start all over again !! ( dreaded thought ). Also, usually there is a prompt to ask you if you forgot your user name or password, and the website will send you an email with a new one. I'd like to tell you that I have a good memory, but maybe after I find my truck keys that I just had, I'll get to telling you that......Dave

ddfooks

Reaction score
My philosophy is that once you get to know everything, then you have to forget some things to make room for new. Make sense ???

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown