1886-1900 Mouth Blown, BIM, Cup Mold Base, French Square, Tooled Prescription Finish, Drug

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

azascend

Reaction score
1886-1900 Mouth Blown, BIM, Cup Mold Base, French Square, Tooled Prescription Finish, Druggist Bottle.
Embossement:HUSKUM FOR SORE HANDS
CENTRAL MFG. CO.
IOWA CITY, IA.No Manufacturers Mark, just a base mold mark ( 2 ) with another (2) down and to the right at about 5 oclock from the center (2) and not so well defined.
This bottle dates between 1860 and 1905
There is a distinct vertically elongated bubble in the neck reflecting the up and down stretching of the hot glass and other small bubbles throughout the piece. No bubbles are broken through to the surface.The bottle has the usual diagnostic characteristics of a druggist bottle: tooled prescription finish and was blown in a cup-bottom mold (no pontil scar, no mold seams on bottom). It also lacks evidence of any mold air venting and some Nice! commensurate body crudeness (wavy glass)
Crudeness to the body commensurate with the absence of mold air venting is evidence of early manufacturing.The French square style of prescription bottles with embossing, identifying use by druggists, appear to have been most popular during the earlier portions of the era 1860s up to about 1890 (Stau 1987; Pollard 1993;
Miller 1999; Preble 2002; empirical observations of Portland, OR.)It appears the square type with beveled corners mouth-blown druggist bottle was a relatively popular shape with druggists primarily during the 1860s through the 1880s and early 1890s.

After about 1900, square prescription bottles are somewhat unusual and often had rounded corners instead of beveled (empirical observations).Given the rarity of square prescription bottles being produced after 1900 with beveled corners possibly places it before 1900.The Pure Food and Drugs Act of 1906 (effective January 1, 1907):
The Pure Food and Drugs Act of 1906 imposed regulations on the labeling of products containing alcohol, morphine, opium, cocaine, heroin, alpha
or beta eucaine, chloroform, Cannabis indica, chloral hydrate, or acetanilide. It required that products containing any of those substances be labeled with the substance and quantity on the label.
Which would date this bottle before 1907.All advertisement for Huskum depicts a label on the bottle.Known references to Huskum sales.In the 1910 copy of Des Moines Iowa Homestead, Thursday, November 24In the 1913 copy of Meyer Brothers Druggist - Volume 34 - Page 68
In the interest of the entire drug trade.In the 1914 copy of The Medical World - Volume 32 - Page 32
A Dr. writes to the Editor of the magazine requesting the formula for Huskum.
"Editor Medical World: — Can you give me the
formula for making huskum, a preparation made
by the Central Mfg. Co., of Iowa ,City, Iowa?
The label says it is a lotion containing arnica,
witchhazel, 7% alcohol and other ingredients, ef-
fectiv in relieving soreness and softening the skin.
Prevents and cures crackt and chapt hands. I
would be very grateful to you if you can put me
"next" to the above, or if not able to do so, could
you give some good formula for the same pur-
pose? • J. T. Paxton, M.D.
Rushville, Ind."In the 1922 copy of Prairie Farmer - Volume 94 - Page 1123My safe guess is this bottle is pre 1905.
My research suggest 1898 to 1900.
Not being able to identify the first time this company produced Huskum for distribution in the Mouth Blown, BIM, Cup Mold Base, French Square, Tooled Prescription Finish bottle, makes it impossible for me to date it back to anything less than the late 1800's
So simply put, your guess is as good as mine, and I hope to be able to put some missing links in here as to the true date of this bottle and what happened to the rest of them, if there are any.I have only been able to identify one otherHUSKUM bottle which is of colored glass.
No other, known to me or the internet, of the clear glass type HUSKUM bottle has been identified or made known to the public until now.PLEASE ask questions or provide insight.I want to thank Sha.org for there great resource that has allowed me to date The Huskum Bottle.

Attachments

• 4c605f2192014d88be4b449c2bf3773a.jpg
    4c605f2192014d88be4b449c2bf3773a.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 3a9c85eb18374eec81a7f79965112ec2.jpg
    3a9c85eb18374eec81a7f79965112ec2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 78a83e3a88ad4b8ebabd5769de9eaa1c.jpg
    78a83e3a88ad4b8ebabd5769de9eaa1c.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 88

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi nice write up and welcome. I have known of several of them for sale and a member posted one here a few years back.If the colored one was purpleish it may have been a clear that was turned that color by sunlight or an artificial method. Some clear glass will turn an amethyst color. I didn't see it so I'm just guessing

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello azascend: That is an ideal presentation you made. I saved a copy of it - but for the reason of the description "FRENCH SQUARE", I had not seen that term used before. I realize the description fits the product but I like to know the source start-up on of them when I find new ones. They are always bottle mysteries to me.RED Matthews

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora