UPDATE WITH PICS Might be digging an old dairy soon....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score
Hi Guys any tips to look for where bottles might have been buried at a former dairy? The property is still a dairy but the original barn is not there anymore, the farmer who bottled sold in the early 1930s. I might be able to look around and dig. Any suggestions? thanks.

madman

Reaction score
Re: Might be digging an old dairy soon....

you might be able to find a culll dump in the back of the property

mctaggart67

Reaction score

A buddy and I dug a dairy dump about 25 years ago -- cripes, time flies! -- and it was an interesting find for all sort of variants for all sort of dairies, but all the bottles had some knock to their condition: chips, cracks, lip pings, etc. This makes perfect sense. After all, why else would a dairy toss out a bottle unless it had some safety issue with it through such damage? Nonetheless, it was very cool discovering myriad different styles of bottles from the dairy and many variants from some of the dairy's competitors. As to the latter bottles, they may have wound up in the dump because the dairy wanted to make things tougher for its opponents by forcing them to replace expensive bottles. All the same, have a great dig or two in your dairy dump!

sunrunner

Reaction score

I found an old deckers dairy dump,most were damaged .but got s few out of it.

toddrandolph

Reaction score

I've dug several dairy dumps, all from very small farm dairies, not big industrial operations. The dumps are always out back somewhere in the woods or wetlands. All of them have lots of milk bottles. They can have every single bottle broken, all with some damage, or lots and lots of intact good bottles including ones from the dairy and surrounding areas also, that is if you are lucky enough to be the first one there.

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score

Everyone thank you. This is all very helpful. Hopefully I get permission and get lucky. I'll keep you all updated.

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score

toddrandolph said:
I've dug several dairy dumps, all from very small farm dairies, not big industrial operations. The dumps are always out back somewhere in the woods or wetlands. All of them have lots of milk bottles. They can have every single bottle broken, all with some damage, or lots and lots of intact good bottles including ones from the dairy and surrounding areas also, that is if you are lucky enough to be the first one there.

This great info, there is woods I think behind the barn. There is a school right behind the property, I'm pretty sure that land was never apart of it. Hopefully this happens soon, I'm really excited.

CazDigger

Reaction score

My experience shows that the bottles from the dairy property were mostly all broken, unless they got returned with too much gunk to clean (paint or something) inside. I did find a lot of whole bottles from other farms, some of them very rare. They just trashed them, instead of returning them. I did find some good crocks/jugs, fruit jars and other cool misc. stuff (signs, license plates, etc). Good luck!

JohnDeereMoxie

Reaction score

UPDATE! I talked to the farm owner's son, when he was a kid he had located the dump, tons of busted glass everywhere but he was 10 so he didn't know what he was doing, sliced his hands up. Sunday I will be going there to dig!!!! So excited. Toddrandolph I thought of your comment when I talked to him, he said the dump is in the swamp! Any suggestions on digging in the wetlands/swampy areas, any tools that might essential? I have a probe, a shovel, a Lesche tool I use for detecting and some kinda hatchet/pick thing i like to use.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score

Cool Sam, if I thought it was within 20 miles of me I'd ask for a join in and you keep the finds, especially the Westport milks. [:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown