John Root's Bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tomaspuku

Reaction score
All, I posted in the general chat thread a couple of weeks ago about some bottles I came into and (understandably given the request for help) didn't get a reply. I have pulled one bottle I am interested in knowing some more about. A couple of not great photos are attached. It is a John Root's Bitters bottle, I have read the threads about general identification, but am interested in a general appraisal, whether or not I should clean the gunk from the inside (and how), and what the best venue to sell is for a non-bottle person. Thanks in advance for your help. Tom

Attachments

• f404e5dfabac47a091f5a1169101db63.jpg
    f404e5dfabac47a091f5a1169101db63.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 71
  • a0a49e12846d4cab9de56728f1182263.jpg
    a0a49e12846d4cab9de56728f1182263.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 01f03a81aa5645baa2158dfa78f534ac.jpg
    01f03a81aa5645baa2158dfa78f534ac.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 74

botlguy

Reaction score
I just read your initial post and am sorry you didn't get a response. With the above information I suspect you'll get more response now and probably some visitors. I can't get a plane out if Idaho for a few days, please save me something.[:D] [8D] [:(]

tomaspuku

Reaction score
For the folks that may be in the area, I am still interested in having folks look at the other bottles, but I do know a bit about antiques and this is the only one that really struck me, I just don't want to wash anything else out at $2 a bottle on ETSY if it is more valuable than that.

tomaspuku

Reaction score
Botlguy, Thanks for the information. I know my initial post in the general section was vague and a lot to ask so I wasn't surprised it didn't get a response. I actually posted on this forum because the discussions here seemed really amicable and I have a great deal of appreciation for the knowledge of something that isn't "my thing". So again, Thanks

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Very nice bottle, and as was said, NICE color!... and very easy to break cleaning! I don't think it would deter much value by letting the new owner do the cleaning unless your real comfortable doing it, even then I'd 'practice' on some of the others first.. Just inspect thoroughly for any damage, dings, pings, bruises, cracks, flashes, open bubbles ect., no matter how miniscule they may seem. In your front view picture about 1/4 way up bottle on right side of panel appears to be a potstone? Check for small cracks radiating out from it, (if its even a potstone) A bottle like this will have many imperfections during the manufacture, they are character, not damage. Etsy's NO place for a bottle like this, eBay maybe, bottles of this caliber would easily go into one of the major auction houses. Nice! Al

diggerdirect

Reaction score
"....antiques and this is the only one that really struck me,...." If a bottle like this was in there, anything could be in there!If you cant get anyone close enough to check them out for you, can always post away on here. Alot more time consuming for you, but there's some really knowledgeable folks here, and several opinions never hurt. Do group photos of 5 or 6 at a time, people here can single out what ones might need a closer look. Just well focused pics is all we need. Not all good bottles appeal just for their looks, some go for type, some for manufacturer or proprietor, some location, some for contents...on & on. Al

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hello Tom. Do not be afraid to put your bottle on sale at e-bay, the costs are good compared to a big glass house auction, and your bottle will get good bids, thousands of bottle collectors world wide buy from e-bay........

sandchip

Reaction score
Beautiful bottle, and a good one. As was stated, take a few group shots as a starting point and from there, we'll try to help on any way that we can.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
I agree, I wouldn't hesitate to list this or any bottle on eBay, if your an established seller, (not subject to the quirks & holds new sellers face on eBay & paypal) and can generate an accurate description, accompanied by good clear, detailed photos, and don't mind doing the back end processes (possibly cleaning, packing, shipping, handling payments & returns, chargebacks & disputes if they come up, answering questions ect.) As far as costs, eBay/PayPal will run you 12.9% minimum on the sale price and on the postage/insurance/associated costs charged, and you do all the work, An auction house (such as ABA) will charge 15% on a bottle like this (valued @$1500 & up) and its a turn key operation for you. (deliver them the bottle, they deliver you a check) and handle all aspects of the sale start to finish very professionally. (it's what they do, day in day out). Plenty of options out there, IMO it really comes down to if the bottle has any damage, and individual preference, as to where would realize the most return. Whatever route you decide I hope you'll let us know on here! Al

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi