Two whiskey day.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Macaco

Reaction score
Hello All,I went for a dig at one of my usual spots this past Saturday. After many years of digging I found my first full sized embossed whiskey. Then I found my second! Two in one day. The first one I found was not a rare or valuable bottle but I like it. It is the big, amber LT&C whiskey from San Francisco. My second one is was a little nicer. It is a bluish aqua color 'N. Van Bergen & CO.' 'Gold Dust' 'Kentucky Bourbon'. The glass is perfect. No dings, scratches or cracks. There are light swirls of haze that I actually kind of like. The bottle has some nice whittling too. The top is applied. Down the neck and into the body of the bottle is a line that first appeared to be a fracture. I examined it under magnification and peered down the top into the bottle and it is a ridge of glass that tapers off behind the embossing. I'm guessing it was caused by a drop of molten glass running down into the bottle. Or is it a mold error? Does it affect the value of the bottle? Thanks for looking. Steve I cleaned up the bottle a little more with soap, water and a soft bottle brush. There is still some gunk inside and some rust deposits on the reverse but I think I'm done cleaning. I'm afraid to over-handle it. Looks good to me. I'm having trouble getting a picture that shows the horse better. The horse looks good to the eye but the camera doesn't seem to like it. Any ideas for lighting? Direct backlight seems to wash out the embossing.

tigue710

Reaction score
That Gold Dust is a really good bottle. Way to go! That line might effect value to some people, but not to much in my opinion...

Macaco

Reaction score
Oldmill said:
Wow that is an amazing bottle you must be thrilled to have pulled that from the ground
Thanks Oldmill. Beyond thrilled. I have dug so many busted pieces of embossed whiskey bottles over the years without finding an intact one it was frustrating. This is by far the best bottle I have ever dug. Steve

Macaco

Reaction score
privvydigger said:
NICE..... We don't see many of them around here...
Thanks privvydigger. I never knew that bottle existed until I pulled one out of the mud. It seemed like an impossible amount of embossing when I wiped the mud and grime off it. Steve

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It's not a mold error or a drip of glass. I'd call it a fold or crease in the making.The mule is a bit disproportional but that should add value.[:D]

Macaco

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
It's not a mold error or a drip of glass. I'd call it a fold or crease in the making.The mule is a bit disproportional but that should add value.[:D]

A fold or crease is interesting. The exterior where the line is visible is perfectly smooth. Perhaps the outside of the fold/crease was polished smooth?LOL. If that's really a mule I'm in the money!

Macaco

Reaction score
tigue710 said:
That Gold Dust is a really good bottle. Way to go! That line might effect value to some people, but not to much in my opinion...
Thanks. The line looks like a crooked, inside seam. It's not too distracting though.

botlguy

Reaction score
That, my friend, is a PREMIUM bottle. Value it HIGHLY. It's worth a LOT of money. I am quite familiar with that sort of bottle though I have never collected them. (Too rich for my blood). John Thomas , Western Whiskey bottle guru, values it, I believe, in 3 figures. Please give me some time to do some research in my reference books, I'm not at my best this evening. Just know you have a WINNER, hold on to it until you know just how good.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu