SPECIAL BOTTLE IN NEED OF CLEANING

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

thebottleguy

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to get old paint out of a milk bottle? I dug up a really nice cream top milk bottle yesterday that had dried on brown, orange,green and yellow paint inside of it.I don't want to put anything in becauseI'm not sure if it will damage it.Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2find4me

Reaction score
I think there was a post like this a while ago with a milk filled with dried green paint, a pic would help...

fer_de_lance

Reaction score
Try really hot water. I would try gradually raising the temperature as not shock the glass. I removed several layers of paint from a stoneware jug this way. Once you get a place started you just keep at it using soft brushes and soft wooden dowel rods. Results may vary depending on the type of paint

glass man

Reaction score
If the paint is oil based put something like GO JO inside and try that..if the outside is acl..then be careful not to get any on that as it may also take that paint off as well...but as suggested try water first just in case it is a water based paint..either way go low and take it off as gently s possible..JAMIE

epgorge

Reaction score
After attempting all the above suggestions and If elbow grease doesn't work, try a little paint thinner. Perhaps diluted a bit at first. Don't use an abrasive or it may scratch the bottles surface. Of course, the thinner may dull the finish too.Joel

DonnaGook

Reaction score
Have you tried using acetone. I think acetone and scrub brush will do the job for you.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Acetone is tough to get now, I don't know if you can even buy it at auto stores anymore.but it does work.

Plumbata

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
Acetone is tough to get now, I don't know if you can even buy it at auto stores anymore.but it does work.

Not around here. I guess the pollution from toxic East-Coast liberalism hasn't oozed into and saturated the Midwest yet. Provided that the indefatigable do-gooders haven't yet wrapped their freedom-loathing fingers around your region, Acetone would be my 1st choice for the job.

epgorge

Reaction score
"Not around here. I guess the pollution from toxic East-Coast liberalism hasn't oozed into and saturated the Midwest yet." I would say your recent anti-2nd amendment laws were both toxic and liberal! Emotional, knee jerk reaction by liberal anti-gunners!Joel

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi