WOW!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
I have never seen a cathedral pickle in this color..I would expect it to go into the thousands of dollars...is it even possible it is this color cause it has been nuked?I know a aqua nuked bottle can turn into a strange green color some times... JUST CURIOUS!! If not this one has it all..color..pontiled...size 13 3/4 tall ..if a Wellington then that would really be icing on the cake ..of course it ain't..JAMIE http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eB...&item=121335321356

botlguy

Reaction score
I agree that this color would be OUTSTANDING if it's authentic and it very well could be. I don't know that anyone would be stupid enough to "Nuke" such an item or what it would look like if they did. It does look a bit too "Olivey" from my experience. It would take a New England glass expert to say for sure. It might be fun to watch I and see what it goes for. One thing I thought about is eBay's "Money back guarantee". If it were purchased and found to be altered I suspect you could be reimbursed.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I seam to be remembering (maybe falsely) a discussion here about it being a reproduction. I haven't seen a lot of cathedrals but quite a few and the base looks like it pre-dates their introduction. That's just a novices note.It's times like this I wish Jeff or Mike were still on here. Well, I wish that anyway but you know what I mean. [:)]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I cant say for sure, but I believe that this has been nuked. Also the seller is really cagey about his return policy in this auction. I do know that cathedral pickles can be pontiled, as that just means before 1855 generally, and I know that they existed in the 1840s-50s which is to say the last of the pontils era, although a few glasshouses here in the us were still doing pontils into the 1860s. Also looks American to me...

utility man

Reaction score
This bottle is a fake! If it were a real deal pickle in that color the price would be in the thousands. The pontil scar on it is way to small and look generic. The embossing is not crisp and sharp like you find on the real one either.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Now I'm missing Surf again, he could have found the topic no problem, even though it must have been 6-8 years ago.When I said "it" I meant "that bottle" making rounds again.
bullwinkle.jpg
[:)][:D]

utility man

Reaction score
I remember reading about a pickle like this as well. Jeff Noordsy responded on it as well saying it was a fake. He brought up the same topic as I did about the pontil.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Yeh, the base in general looks like it was made to deceive. It reminds me more of the 1820-40 range rather that 50's and up. The whole thing looks a bit funny to me also. If I remember there was a one or two knockoff done by a guy in NJ. It's all kind of vague now. If it was a flask or something I might look at it differently.

utility man

Reaction score
It is definately not am original cathedral pickle. There are some reproductions that command high prices though. I sold an e.g. Booz repro around a year ago that was a rare color for good money. Recently a cobalt blue sunburst which was a repro brought over $700.00 on eBay. Either way you put it this bottle is not an original.

glass man

Reaction score
I have an aqua pontiled cathedral pickle..dug near CHARLESTON S.C...and have seen many many over the years and know TERRY GILLIS..one of the very well known Cathedral pickle collectors..if this is real I know he will be on it at some point..he once bought one off ebay for a large sum of money..I just have never seen one in this color..not that it couldn't be real..but if it sells low I say it probably ain't...JAMIE

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown