Mid Michigan Diggers Wanted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brian M

Reaction score
Hello, I am interested in digging in Michigan. Looking for people interested in sharing dump information and digging together. I just started digging again and metal detecting. Anyone interested in digging sometime let me know. I live in Bay City.

idigjars

Reaction score
Hello Brian M, welcome to the forum. I have dug in your town. I dug a blob beer marked "Toledo Bottling Works - Bay City Mich" and the word "Works" was reversed. Pretty cool. The guy I was digging with collects Michigan stuff so I gave it to him. Lots more digging there though. Email me if you want to get together when spring gets here. Paul

47077C7C314E42E0BD6003DD58D0EC8B.jpg

Attachments

• 47077C7C314E42E0BD6003DD58D0EC8B.jpg
    47077C7C314E42E0BD6003DD58D0EC8B.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 159

Brian M

Reaction score
Hello Paul,

Good to hear from you. I use to have a huge collection of Bay City beers and sodas. I sold most of my collection in 1990 when I went into the Navy. I have been metal detecting and digging over the past few years, putting my collection back together. I was digging at a construction site(the old Kolb Brewery) last year with a friend of mine and I found a nice blob beer bottle from the Kolb Bros. Saltzburg Brewery. It was a 7oz bottle, which has never been found until now. I also found an indian axe head near the area we were digging. Lots of neat stuff came out of that hole. We dug every night until the workers filled the hole in. The owner of the property plans to build condos there in the future. This place will be awesome to dig again.

Years ago I dug with a guy named Tom D. from Bay City. We dug near the Liberty Bridge. Lots of 1920's stuff and milk bottles. We also dug around on the banks of the Saginaw River. What part of town did you dig? We will have to get out digging in the spring. After checking out this site, I would love to try digging out houses. I am only interested in beer and soda bottles.

Brian

idigjars

Reaction score
Hi Brian. Can't remember the names of any streets but it was about 4-7 blocks from downtown. There were two empty lots that didn't produce about 7 blocks from town. The neighbor next door let us dig there too and we found a couple of things. It was mostly toc stuff though, nothing to jump and shout about.

I was talking to the owner of that yard and told him I collect fruit jars so he took me down to his cellar and gave me a dozen or so 1858's that were still full of fruit!!! I was hoping when I cleaned them out they would be something special but they were just the regular type jars. But that's okay the whole event was fun.

The yard that produced the reversed embossed blob beer was only about 4 blocks from town. I know if I got back over there and got my bearings I can take you to the exact houses.

If you travel we could also meet anywhere in between you and me if you want to try any other town. There is a guy downtown BC that had a pretty nice selection of bottles too, you might want to check him out. Keep in touch, send me an email. Paul

druggistnut

Reaction score
Paul,
Is the guy in BC you're referring to Howard (Howie) Diefenbach?
I'll dig in BC with you guys any time. I have a spot that turns out great pontil aged meds, beers, etc...
Just get a pair of chest waders and a BC/fishing vest ready by spring.
Bill

idigjars

Reaction score
Hi Bill, I'm not sure what the guys name is in BC. He has a lot of bottles in his shop though. I have my waders! I use them to take care of my wifes garden pond. When the plants get out of control I have to climb in and cut them back. Sounds like fun in the spring. Paul

Brian M

Reaction score
Hey Paul,

I travel around the state quite a bit. I work for the power company and we have plants all over the state where we conduct emission testing and boiler testing. Sometimes we are on the road for a few days to a week at a time. I usually bring my metal detector with me, but would like to try digging. I will email you and we can try to set up an outing.

Brian M

Reaction score
Bill, You will have to come along too when we dig in Bay City again. I was wondering where you dig with the waders? I have been down along the river when the wind blows the water out and have found lots of logging relics and a few bottles from the 1920's, but no blob beers or blob sodas. A long time ago I did find a nice squat soda from Bay City on the river bank but that area is covered with 15 foot high weeds now. There is a good section of river to dig where I found a lot of broken bottles, but that whole area is weeds now, but may still be interesting to check out again.

Brian M

Reaction score
Bill,

One last question. Have you ever dug that old dump on the Middle Grounds? This place looks like a mine field, it has been dug so much a long time ago. The ground is littered with broken hutches and beers. I know the soil is clay and there are a lot of tree roots. It looks like it would be hard to figure out where someone hasn't dug.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu