Mid Michigan Diggers Wanted

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

druggistnut

Reaction score
Hi Paul,
I'm tardy with my replies but better late than never, huh?
Just about every dump or location with bottles that folks have told me about (you'll find that MOST diggers will tell you about a dump if they think it's dug-out) still produced good finds for me. One in particular was dug 4-6 feet but after I got through the cap, I have had it down to 18 feet and not hit bottom. I started hitting 1860's stuff at about 9 feet and then ran into about 6 feet of just ash. All the old heavy stuff is below that.
The Middle Grounds still turns out great stuff. A lot of work, but it's the kind of deal where if you do find something, it's guaranteed to make your day.
I leave for Texas Monday the 18th and will be back the 23rd. That means this will be the 2nd year in a row I have missed setting up at Grand Rapids. I missed the National because of Uncle Sam, also.
Saginaw/Bay City is HOT right now for good digs.I'll explain when we talk.
I'll call you after I get back. I have your #.
Bill

idigjars

Reaction score
Great Bill, thanks for the reply. Yes, please call me when you get back. Best regards Paul

Brian M

Reaction score
Hey Paul,

If you come up to Bay City to dig, you will have to let me know. I am planning to dig at the Middle Grounds in the spring. The old dump there hasn't been touched in a while, there probably is still some good stuff in there. If you have any sites that you would like to check out and want some company let me know.

Brian

Brian M

Reaction score
Hello Tom,

Glad to see that there are some other Michigan diggers out there. I am getting back into digging. I use to dig all the time and then I took a break when I joined the Navy, got married, two kids, college, and job. I got into metal detecting a few years ago and go all the time, but the bottle bug bite me again last year when we were poking around at an old 1800's brewery site that they were clearing and my buddy and I uncovered a bunch of old bottles. We dug there every night until the workers filled the hole in. That site would still be great to do if we could get permission from the owners. Lots of old bottles in there. We also have an old dump that has been dug a lot over the years, I have never dug there, just poked around. I think privies are the best way to go now days. I missed the Flint show today. I collect Soda and Beer bottles from Bay City.

Take care,
Brian

hemihampton

Reaction score
Druggistnut Bill, Where you been, Been trying to get ahold of you??? LEON.

jefo

Reaction score
Hello. I just joined this site, had trouble registering last year 'cause my computer was messed up. I know your post is old however I live here in Lansing and am interested in the digging (privies too) and have a lot of tools/equipment and a Fisher Coin Strike detector. Will travel! My name is Jeff and I am a home improvement contractor. Let me know if interested. ......

druggistnut

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
Nice to "meet" another digger/collector from Michigan.
We have a decent following on this site, so I'd like to suggest we all get in a dump dig together.
We have Paul, Brian, Tom, Scott, Leon, Mike, Deidre, David and myself.
Brian lives the furthest north, Paul to the west, Mike to the south and Scott to the east.
Any ideas for a dig kind of centrally located? You know some dumps around the Detroit area, Leon. Tom has the one near him and there is the one in Brownstown, none of us has dug.
Ideas?
Bill

jefo

Reaction score
Hey Bill. Thanks for the reply. Yeah an old town dump would work. A guy told me that he used to dig in the Lapeer city dump and that it's still there and very large (unbuildable of course) Although they used to burn there too. Jeff

jefo

Reaction score
Hey Bill. Since I just noticed you're in Flint, I did hear recently that 5000 houses were on the demo list in Flint. Maybe there would be some "privage" Jeff

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora