WTS Panama bottle collection

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gus Bliss

Reaction score
I am going on 83 and have a collection of over 250 antique bottles I recovered while in Panama in 1967-68 that includes over 50 pottery ales, and would like to know the best way to sell them as a lot without having to pay shipping costs. I live in Arizona.

antlerman23

Reaction score
to sell them as a lot will be tough. I think your best bet would be to sell them separately or as a lot but very cheap. the ales (if they are what I am thinking of)aren't really worth much at all. like $1-$5. you could try craigslist.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome Gus,Is there an auction house in the area? That might be worth looking into too. I'm not a fan of craigslist myself.The ales if they're transfer or stencil marked will up the value. A lot of pontil wines and case gins and other stuff was found down there and that would be nice also.Do you have any pictures you can post and are any like the above?

MedBottle1

Reaction score
Gus, I would be interested in looking at them. Can you post a picture?

perdidogringo

Reaction score
More on Gus Bliss

Hi Everyone,

I know this thread is a few years old but I wanted to add a note about Gus Bliss (the author) since I just found out that he passed away in Sept. of 2015. I didn't know Gus personally but I exchanged emails with him for a couple of years before he died about bottle (and relic) collecting in the old American Panama Canal Zone, where he served in the late 1960s. I always enjoyed his emails as he was very enthusiastic about the hobby and his memories of Panama back in the day.

In case anyone is interested, here is a link to an article his wrote about bottle collecting in the Panama Canal Zone in the 1960s: http://www.czbrats.com/Articles/bottles.htm

And here is some information about his life:

Bliss, Gustave Ernest
84, died September 13, 2015 with his family at his side. Gus was born in San Diego, CA in 1931 to Charles and Florence Bliss. He was a veteran of twenty years in the US Army, 1948 - 1968. Gus served in two combat theaters during his service. He was a radioman in the Korean conflict and in Vietnam as a helicopter pilot. His most notable awards were the Air Medal, 19 times, the Bronze Star and the Distinguished Flying Cross. His last station of duty was the Panama Canal where he became an avid amateur archeologist, wresting from the jungles of Panama, a collection of rare bottles and artifacts. In 2008, he self-published a book on the subject, Bottlers Utopia. After his service he continued to fly. Flying fire contracts was his venue for many years. At 65 he retired from commercial flying. Reading history, fishing and prospecting were just a few of his other interests. He always had a project. As a member of the LDS Church, Gus was extremely active in the church.

Last edited:

Linda B.

Reaction score
Such a coincidence finding this thread. My father was also an avid bottle collector while he was stationed in Panama from Jan. 1968 - July 1070. Sadly he passed in 2008, a Proud US Air Force Airman of 30 years (Army Air Corps/USAF). Consequently, I have his bottle collection and no room to display all the beauty.

Several years ago I was able to sell many pieces through Ebay. But then life got in the way! Of course I am not getting any younger and have no one to pass the bottles to.

Since I spend most of my day listing and selling on Ebay for business, I have a hard time finding or taking the time to research and list the bottles. Once the weather warms some, I hope to get outside and take photos and get on the band wagon and list some here, and/or Ebay.

Strangely, I don't recall seeing Gus' article from the CZBrats in my father's bottle 'hoard' :)

Linda B.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi