Dug a second barrel privy.....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Forgive me for disrupting the flow, but could someone please explain what these 'rods' are that you use to...um... locate privies? See, I'm mostly a water-based bottle-hunter, but my lake is playing-out in number and quality of finds, so I'm expanding to land-based hunting. I use a small pole to shift soil and leaf-litter in one site, but that's not what you're talking about I think... So, could you please tell me what these rods are and what they do? Thanks. :)

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Bear, simply type in "probes" in the search box and hit search and a number of good threads have been written, one by myself, giving good info as to where and how to search as well as probing. Getting a decent probe can be problematic and some would rather try to make their own rather than invest a few well spent bucks buying a state-of-the-art probe as I call them. In the past, I used the old fashioned kind, with the pointy end and a ring collar above but lately my money goes to the mushroom looking carbon tip probes. There are various sources but I always have good luck and service using Lou Lambert's probes at www.oldwestbottles.com and at $10 per foot you can't get a better probe. Anyone who is using the kind I described before, they take some getting used to as they go through any soil like a hot knife through butter. Leaves one thinking every probe hole is a privy! Jack

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Bass, you'll never regret it. My only regret is I didn't find them sooner! Makes probing so much easier, I can now probe 4X as much as before without over-doing it. Jack

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown