How do I know if I am paying too much?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

LisaTammy

Reaction score
So I have been looking for this milk bottle for a while and now there is one on ebay. The bottle is not super rare but it seems to be evading me lol. Anyhow I have never paid more than 9.99 for a milk bottle and usually pay 1-5 dollars. Does anyone know if this bottle is worth this much? Most of the sellers bottles are all this price so I don't know. What do you think? http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCARCE-Soo-MI-Michigan-SOO-CREAMERY-DAIRY-Milk-Bottle-Sault-Saint-St-Marie-/171346689631?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27e50efe5f Thanks! Lisa

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
Never paid over $9.99. Wish I could say that, then I would not have much of a collection. If ya want it get it, then you can ask the question 'Did I pay to much?'. If ya don't spend it.........it's only paper.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
It's only too much if you aren't paying your bills and not being charitable. Your personal finances make that determination.

LisaTammy

Reaction score
Thanks Bruce those were kinda the lines I was thinking along. Part of it is that I have seen this bottle sell a lot cheaper but who knows how long I would have to wait lol. On a different note I did get two dairies after digging through the hundreds at the resale shop. At five bucks each with beautiful ink, well worth it.Lisa

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
I have always believed that it all averages out with some of my collection being dug by me which is zero cost in dollars ( just time and effort), and others purchased at bargain prices. The occasional bottle which I have been looking for if a NICE example is okay if the price is strong as in the grand scheme of things as the financial cost is included in the overall average. This is the formula I use when explaining to my wife why I just dropped a chunk of cash on a good bottle. I justify to myself that I never pay too much for a bottle...I just might buy it too soon. I cannot recall ever regretting buying a bottle for too much money...but I HAVE regretted not buying one when I had the chance.

LisaTammy

Reaction score
westernglassaddict,That is a great way of looking at things, thanks for taking the time to reply.Lisa

RED Matthews

Reaction score
There are a lot of old price guides. The best one today is "/ Antique Trader BOTTLES " by Michael Polak. It will tell you a lot about bottle collecting and values. It will give you a logical value and if you get the item for half his stated price - your winning the game, RED M.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Regarding the cost of bottle investing. I have never paid big money for any of my collected glass, which now represents about 1500 items. Historical flasks are wonderful but the idea of investing what they cost to have them - is insane in my world. I have always looked for glass that had a story to tell about how it was made. I have some pieces that are unique and some that I put too much money in, but I had to have them (for so I thought at the time!). RED M

LisaTammy

Reaction score
Yeah after doing some research I decided to buy it, now anxiously awaiting delivery.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky