Last Friday dump dig. Owls galore!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Macaco

Reaction score
Hello All,

It has taken me a week to organize the pictures from last Friday's bottle hunt with Digger X (formerly known as Stoneware Kid). We found some common bottles and some not-so-common bottles at one of our old trash dumps.

My finds,

Yay! Another Jesse Moore. A little nicer than the last one,

Boo! It has a small chip in the base,

An Owl Citrate! The second one I have found. I has a tiny ding on the left side of the neck but otherwise is near perfect,

A big Owl Drug bottle without an Owl. Very light green aqua color,

A milk glass Owl. I haven't found many of these,

Two clear Owls. The one on the right is spelled with a capital 'G' instead of a capitol 'O',

Front view. The dark disk is a US quarter,

A half pint cream bottle. /1/2 Pint/WALNUT GROVE CREAMERY CO./652-57th ST./OAKLAND . CAL .

A couple very common bottles,

/H.H.H./HORSE/MEDICINE. First one of these I have dug. I believe this may be a Stockton, CA bottle,

/WITTER/SPRINGS/WATER. Base is embossed, /WITTER/MEDICAL/SPRINGS/S.F./,

A good size doll head and some doll house crockery,

Here is what Digger X dug. Oh hell, let's just call him Charles. That's a pretty good nickname anyway,
A San Francisco Florida Water bottle,

He also dug an Owl Citrate! His first. Same color as mine and in better condition over all. The one I found is still better though because...it's mine,

He found two more Owls. That's his first milk glass Owl on the left,

I went digging on Monday too. I will try to post pics of that trip this weekend.

Thanks for looking,

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
I like those embossed owls, very cool. The color of those citrates is awesome and the hhh/horse is a great one too. You have a really great dumpsite and i hope you go back soon and show us more. The pictures are fantastic

mctaggart67

Reaction score
Man, that must have been an exciting dig! Thanks for sharing.

Macaco

Reaction score
Bass Assassin said:
I like those embossed owls, very cool. The color of those citrates is awesome and the hhh/horse is a great one too. You have a really great dumpsite and i hope you go back soon and show us more. The pictures are fantastic
Thanks Assassin,It is a good site for digging bottles but getting to the sites we work is an ordeal all by itself. It is hot, dusty and muddy if you can imagine all three at once. The place is thick with ticks and gnats. I can see why someone thought it was a good site to dump trash because it's not a good place for anything else.The digging is exhausting and so is hauling out the bottles and gear. My back is still complaining and it's been a week since the dig. It must be worth doing or I wouldn't be doing it right? I can't think of many hobbies that require hard labor other than this one. Steve

Macaco

Reaction score
mctaggart67 said:
Man, that must have been an exciting dig! Thanks for sharing.
Hi Glen,
It was a good dig for sure.I'm happy there is a place I can share my finds with other bottle hounds. Normal people are not impressed.

2find4me

Reaction score
Love that Owl Drug Citrate! Nice finds on all the Owls! H.H.H. Horse Older ThreadThe Witter is a nice find.Keep up the digging!

Macaco

Reaction score
2find4me said:
Love that Owl Drug Citrate! Nice finds on all the Owls! H.H.H. Horse Older ThreadThe Witter is a nice find.Keep up the digging!
Thank you Sharon,My HHH Horse is 6.25" tall, aquamarine. Based on an Ad in Pacific Rural Press from March 21, 1885 I am wondering if it was just a horse medicine or a people medicine too,

botlguy

Reaction score
That dig is right in my Wheel House with all those Owls being found. I have yet to acquire a TEAL Citrate, just recently bought a 7- Up green example. The Milk glass are tough, I need to find out how many sizes are available. Keep your eyes out for ambers, they are REAL tough. Thanks for sharing.

Macaco

Reaction score
botlguy said:
That dig is right in my Wheel House with all those Owls being found. I have yet to acquire a TEAL Citrate, just recently bought a 7- Up green example. The Milk glass are tough, I need to find out how many sizes are available. Keep your eyes out for ambers, they are REAL tough. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Jim, Four Owl Citrates have come from this dump so far. Two of them from last Friday. All are the teal color. I have my fingers crossed for one of the 7-Up green ones. Those are glossy nice. I like the owl on those too. I have only seen pictures of them. My milk glass owl is 4" tall. I previously dug two other intact ones, 5" and 6". I have dug several broken ones and pieces. I have seen pics of the amber Owl whiskey tops. I wouldn't mind digging one of those. I haven't even dug broken pieces of amber Owls. Steve

botlguy

Reaction score
I once got into a dump along a river bank that yielded lots of T.O.D.Co. bottles and dug some rare ones for the time (late 1960s). No ambers, no milk glass but several clears / colorless that hadn't been seen. This was Orange County. Since then I have started to acquire a collection / accumulation for my Granddaughter and have picked up what I can reasonably. If you have any hand finished / tooled top T.O.D.Co. bottles you are willing to part with at a reasonable price please let me know. I would be happy to take one of those TEAL citrates off your hands. [:D] Thanks again for sharing.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch