Found Old Township Dump On Property

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photomike

Reaction score
About 4 weeks ago I started digging a pond and now a whole mess later I've discovered that 2 of my 3 acres sits on the old township dup for our community. My house sits on clean fill where the old tile mill was in the late 1800s and early 1900s. In 1950 or so the township started dumping things illegally on the property of the abandoned mill so the township decided to use it as a formal dump. I have bottles and junk (lots of junk) from the early 1900s. I am absolutely clueless as to what could be worth something or what is genuine trash. I've only dug up a portion of the dump...and already 10 lawyers deep in finding a good environmental attorney. Besides the legal fight I have ahead of me I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to if there would be anything worth my time to be cautious with. I started making a documentary last week and just threw some clips together to give an idea of what the dump looks like if anyone is interested. I live in Ohio, but at this point legally have to be careful what I share. I'm loading the video portion of the documentary and it will be live tomorrow at the following link, but here are some screenshots at the same link. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q7ksyvyfl0hmwx9/AAC-5xlqS7SYrAv870H8iINta If you live in Ohio I would be happy to chat with you and share some possible treasure...unless it is all just junk :) Send me a private message if you have any info or are interested. I'll try to check back, but I'm a photographer and this time of year I'm working crazy hours....on top of dealing with my local government with this issue now!

hemihampton

Reaction score
From what I seen looked like common 1950's stuff. Thought I seen a Clear with blue label Suncrest ACL soda bottle. That might be worth picking up & any other painted soda bottle labels. Milks might be worth picking up. Any older 1890 stuff somewhere there? LEON.

photomike

Reaction score
There is a bit under 2 acres left to dig....about 20 feet deep....I am only at 15 feet and have crushed most because I was initially trying to clear it before I figured out what it was....not just a farmers dump. I'm sure there is some early 1900s stuff. I'll try to dig some up and take pics.....threw a lot away...some pretty cool ones too.

RCO

Reaction score
my family owns 135 acres here and when I was younger there was some dumps on it that I dug up , that's sort of how I got into bottles I guess , its almost normal to discover small dumps on a lot of these older properties as that was how a lot of trash disposed of back then . as for whats in the dump , I doubt much of it is worth anything , however there could be some bottles that are worth something but you have to know what to look for . like I'd keep any not broken - milk jugs with writing on them , pop bottles for companies you have not heard of before , old medical bottles with writing on them and bottles that appear to be older . but old liquor bottles , jars , beer bottles , ketchup bottles that sort of stuff really has little value or no value

Macaco

Reaction score
I would hire a backhoe for a day and have them dig off the upper layers of trash until I hit bare dirt or a layer of older material. If I hit a layer of turn of the century and/or older material I would leave it so I could dig it at my pleasure and tell the city to come remove the layer of newer junk that was scraped off at their expense. If I hit bare dirt without any old stuff I would tell the city to come in and haul all of it all away at their expense. Hopefully a bottle hound there in Ohio can come out to your place and help you dig some sample holes and see if there is any good stuff below the newer stuff.

2find4me

Reaction score
Maybe if you dig through it you'll find someone thing good, most of it looks too new to have much value or worth to collectors. Look for older cork top bottles instead of screw-top. BTW, how did you do that aerial-type picture? Might be a few good beer cans in there.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Where are you located? I'm from Ashland. As the other folks said there are some valuable bottles from that era. Not to mention any late throws you might run across. Keep us posted. Id be in heaven having a dump in my back yard!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hows the water test? The 50's were still a decade of bury everything.I wonder if the Superfund has anything left in it? [8|]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eloc1