1858 Mason

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2find4me

Reaction score
Saw this Aqua 1858 Mason Half Gallon Jar today at an antique store. The unusual thing about it was the embossing was small, a lot smaller than your typical Mason. Not sure if these are common or not, and me not being a jar collector left it behind. Also saw a clear 1858 Mason today, don't see them as often as the aqua ones it seems like.

dygger60

Reaction score
Very correct....small embossing are tough....but the "true clear" hg 1858's...woof...very tough. Usually the base and the thicker glass is what kills it....I have always felt that these colorless jars a way under valued. You get a colorless jar of this circa it books for $20 - $30. But believe me, you will pay double to triple that for nice example. I have a couple around #1920 and a #1939 clear hg's....I will get a picture when it gets light and post it. They are tough to get on eBay, most folks really don't understand the term, I have gotten plenty of them in and wala...the base has tone to it. David

2find4me

Reaction score
Yes, I think it was a truly clear variant, it was among lots of aquas. I saw no tint of any color. I think it was $8, and the Half Gallon was $18.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky