Waw-Waw & We-Li-Ka

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2find4me

Reaction score
Hello all, I am making a thread on Waw-Waw & We-Li-Ka Bottles. I am dedicating this thread to Jim (Botlguy). I will post my research here, and hopefully find out what We-Li-Ka really was and more about Waw-Waw. If anyone knows of anything that may be of help, just comment, post a link, picture, or anything little thing that may help.I will be posting new findings as I find them.Thanks! So far, I know for sure that Waw-Waw was a sauce bottle. We-Li-Ka is most likely either a sauce or poison with very similar shape to a Waw-Waw. Member Bert DeWitt has brought the We-Li-Ka bottle to my attention. HERE is his thread.Pictures of his bottle: Measures 6 "1/4 in height.
download.axd
What looks like 510/ 4/ 4 embossed on base?
download.axd

2find4me

Reaction score
In comparison to a Waw-Waw bottle, this one only measures 3 1/2" tall.
$_57.JPG
download.axd

2find4me

Reaction score
First, I will post information I have on Waw-Waw so far.Different variants have been found in Australia, US, & Great Britian.An old ebay listing calls it an "Indian Steak Sauce". It could have been pepper sauce or hot sauce also. 3 1/2" Clear variant sold on eBay. $8.19 + S&H. Forum Threads on Waw-Waw:3 1/2" aqua THREAD.3 1/2" (Rd No 421474 1693 on base) THREAD. Here is a British Reg. No. Below, From 1903.
32FF0D8F565B418B91A2F3C06170E9FE.jpg
Embossed: Rd No 421474 8047. ABotlguy's THREAD. There are 4 different sizes that I know of:3 1/2" small size, 7 1/2" medium size, 9" large size, & a screw top ABM wide mouth jar. As far as I know, they come in clear, aqua and SCA (Possibly some were irradiated). I will talk about lip finishes on my next reply.

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
The WE-LI-KA I posted is seamed diagonally and I believe it runs all the way to the lip of the bottle if that helps to identify how it was made.

2find4me

Reaction score
So far I have found 4 different lip finishes, not including the odd jar.Here is what Botlguy calls the Type #2 & Type #5, would have had a metal type closure.
download.axd
Here is a pic of the Waw-waw Indian Sauce label:
download.axd

2find4me

Reaction score
An interesting article clip, Alart & McGuire Co. using the name Waw-Waw. HERE is the link.
download.axd

2find4me

Reaction score
Bert DeWitt said:
The WE-LI-KA I posted is seamed diagonally and I believe it runs all the way to the lip of the bottle if that helps to identify how it was made.
Bert DeWitt said:
May be only seemed to the bottom of the lip I can't remember.

If the seam runs all the way through the lip, then it is ABM.I assume that the Waw-Waw bottles have seams that either stop half way up the neck, or go all the way through the lip.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora