Help with Eagle flask identification

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Recently bought a new double eagle flask, but don't know much more than that. It is pint sized, keyed base (is it a refired pontil?), and has impurities (carbon streaks, fire brick pieces, and milk stringers).

So , asking politely, I'm interested in knowing what the GII- number is, and where it may have been manufactured. Additionally, what dates made, and if the base is a refired pontil? I assume it's not very valuable, but that doesn't affect how this flask has so much going on with character.

Thank you all in advance!

The base

2find4me

Reaction score
Looks like a WINNER! [:)]There are so many different eagle variations I have no idea what the GII-# is.Maybe an expert can help you.

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Thanks! It's definitely is a great one, camera on this phone does it injustice. I know this post is a lot to ask for, just don't have the resources to look it up.

All help is very much appreciated. Hopefully, this post will help someone else too. Thanks again!

sandchip

Reaction score
Looks like a GII-130. The base is not refired, just a smooth base. Listed as scarce. Unknown glasshouse. Fine looking flask, Muddy.

botlguy

Reaction score
I don't know how one can assign a McKearin number without scrutinizing both sides of the flask. I would have to go to my trusty McKearin-Wilson book and perhaps it is that easy in this case but that has not been my experience in 50 years of collecting. Some variations are quite subtle. Jim

sandchip

Reaction score
I only said that it looks like a GII-130. Very true that not only both sides should be examined, but more pictures, showing close-ups of the embossing, preferably in reflected light would be nice. It definitely could be an unlisted variant, but with the shape of the eagle but more specifically the pennant, I'd still lean, and only lean, toward a GII-130, at least until I could get somebody like Mark Vuono to examine it in person. [;)]

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Thanks for the input and ID! I will look hard at both sides, but from what I saw, the eagle is the same, with same features (arrows, etc.). Definitely crudely made glass, the amount of crap inside the glass is astounding. Even with industrial insulators, one would be hard pressed to find milk, amber, and carbon stringers in a single specimen, like in this flask.

Wonder if Dr. Dyott made a make-shift glassworks in his jail cell (it's a joke).

Thank you all! Hopefully, your help will help someone else down the line.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
[attachment=GII-130.jpg]Jim Sandchip is correct Jim Sinsley, it is a GII-130,the three arrows in the talons extending past the left wing are unique to just this flask in this group of like kinds from GII-78- GII-131. On the remaining flasks in the Pittsburgh/Ohio 78-131 type the arrows stop inside the wing not past it. The banner is also exactly as shown in the charts. Here is a picture showing the chart line drawing and MuddyMOs flask. How is everyone doing?

Attachments

• 19d9f857cd524221908158c5b3d62e18.jpg
    19d9f857cd524221908158c5b3d62e18.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 94

2find4me

Reaction score
I'm doing great, glad to hear from you again.
GI27R.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora