E Matthews Hempstead LI bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2find4me

Reaction score
History on Hempstead, Long Island, New York. Not sure if I would want to live there. [:eek:]HERE is some history on E. Matthews Sons, pages 111-112. The company started sometime before 1890 and continued after Elbert Matthews death in 1891. His widow conducted the business until 1899 when his brother Charles, Irvin purchased it. There is a hotel named after Elbert Matthews.It looks like you have done your research, HERE is a link to your eBay listing.Good Luck!BTW, you have some interesting stuff for sale.

levinll

Reaction score
Thanks. I found some info on E. Matthews, but I figured asking members of this forum for any other info couldn't hurt. Any idea what a bottle from this time period is worth ? That's the million dollar question !

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
They tend not to be worth much. Not in what I've seen. I think over 20 is a bit much. Unless it were an original Budweiser or something.

NYCFlasks

Reaction score
Just to be quick, Matthews was a very successful bottler in Hempstead, Long Island at the turn of the Century, thus his bottles are quite common here on Long Island. There are quite a few variations of them, such as the size of the slug plate, monograms, and the actual wording on the slug plate. Value is 10 dollars tops as a rule for dug examples.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi