Can they alter color in insulators too?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Click here. I've only seen blue and clear Hemingray--45s. Is it irradiated, or altered in some way? When he says 'stained' does he mean he stained it?
Do these come in lavender like that?
Is this one real?
Then this one made me cry... my dog died on May 2nd three years ago. This insulator is dated May 2nd. Might get that one...

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Bid's been placed on it. Will be a birthday present if we get it come late September. Think it was worth four bucks plus shipping and handling?

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Bear,
Hemingray 42s come in Hemi blue, aqua, and clear (with ice colors). Hemingray 45s only came in clear (with some off-clear tints). Any other color is stained.

Many of the Hemingray insulators that had drip points exhibited the May 2nd 1893 patent date, which was for the drip points. Most common ones embossed with the patent date that come to mind are Hemi 9s, 12s, and 40s. Early insulators embossed with May 2nd 1893 will typically have a script embossing (has a hand drawn look), which includes dual patent 1871/1893 signals, CD 151 H.G. CO. with drips, of course), 9s, and 12s.

As far as advice goes, personally I wouldn't pay much for the Hemi 9, it is a common. Value is dollar or less. But, as a beginner, we often found ourselves perusing the cheap commons before getting the first greenie or amber. Just be aware that many of the common insulators are worth about a buck. Don't want to find oneself bidding $23 for a ice blue Hemi 42! Good luck

MuddyMO

Reaction score
The first is described as a stained insulator. That it's post-manufacturing alterations.

The lavender one is real, it was a clear insulator that purpled in the sun. It is pretty rare, since Brookfield typically made an aqua or green color insulator.

The marbled one is a commemorative insulator, meaning it was not made by the company embossed on it. A reproduction. I have a feeling this listing was meant to deceive, since there is only one picture of the McLaughlin insulator. This will cause a speculation sensation between people with high hopes, and those unfamiliar with insulators. Maydwell was the company known to make milkglass insulators. Hemingray had a few glass factory dump discoveries of milkglass insulators.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Over here on the poles all I see are blue, clear, and off-clear--and one broken olive shard of one.

BillinMo

Reaction score
Lots of questions here... First, yes, insulator colors can be altered. The easiest way is to just use a colored stain that you can buy at any craft store. There are also insulators altered with radiation, heat, or fake carnival coating. I realize this is a lot of information to throw at you, but these are probably the two best references regarding altered insulators:http://www.nia.org/altered/ and http://www.insulators.info/books/fake/ The purple Brookfield you linked looks fairly good to me; that's a known style in purple. It's ebay, of course, so I would still be fairly cautious. The marbled McLaughlin is a commemorative, made for the collector market. William McLaughlin, who owned the McLaughlin Glass Company that made insulators in the 1930s, made these marbled commemoratives in his garage in the early 1970s to celebrate his career in glass making. The Hemingray 9 is a common telephone style and the May 2, 1893 patent date appears on LOTS of Hemingray products. It's the patent date for the drip points on the rim. Four dollars is a bit steep for one of these. If you're ever in my neck of the woods (or at a show where I'm set up) I'd give you one of these for free. But if you want a nice little something for your shelf and not looking to recoup the money you paid by selling it, I wouldn't quibble too much. If you're interested in insulators, I'd encourage you to go to a show where you can talk with other collectors and see lots of insulators up close. There's a bottle/insulator show in Chelsea, Michigan, on October 5. If you're able to do a little road trip, you could go to Springfield, Ohio on Oct 31-Nov 2 and I believe next year's National Insulator Show will be a ways west of Chicago. In the meantime, feel free to post questions or PM me (or Jim or any of the other insulator regulars around here).

BillinMo

Reaction score
Obviously, I write too slowly... there were like 5 responses while I was typing my previous post... :)

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hayden.Brown