Vick's nose drop bottle question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

eric70

Reaction score
Hello, Does anyone know if the amber colored Vick's nose drop bottles were just as common or not quite as common as their signature blue ones were? I wouldn't expect a ratio, but it seems to me every time that I am digging, I must find way more blue ones before coming upon a brown one. Just wanted to know if any of you guys also experienced this. thanks alot. Eric

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I thought they just changed the color, say in the 50's but I don't know it as fact. Maybe there are or would be just as many or more but the later dumps don't get dug or they were recycling them instead. We started recycling in the mid 60's.

eric70

Reaction score
Hey Eric, That can be possible, but based on my experience from digging the 50s-60s dumps, I still come across primarily blue ones. I suppose that I can look at the OI date code on the different bottles and try to get an idea of when that one was manufactured and compare it to others that I come across or ask other diggers on here what their date codes reveal.

eric70

Reaction score
Well, I originally thought that these had the OI logo on the bottom, but after cleaning I see that they don't. I may have to figure out another way to check the theory about the colors being changed later. I still don't know what other diggers are coming across regarding the ratio of blue bottle to brown ones. Eric

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I can't help there, I haven't dug since I was 15, many moons ago and Vicks weren't any of them. I never pulled a Bromo either.[:eek:][:D]

eric70

Reaction score
..Thanks again Eric for trying to help out. I'll just put this on the back burner for now but I'll post an answer here if i do figure things out. Eric

LisaTammy

Reaction score
You know I have dug one blue some browns and even a green. But I'm not even sure they are vicks droppers. I' down with bad bronchitis so I will get some pic later.LisaPS I have got to the point now where don't even keep them.

eric70

Reaction score
Thanks for the input Lisa. That would be interesting to see a green one, I don't think i have ever dug a Vick's green bottle. I don't save these either, I clean them up and sell them for .50-$1 at a "trash & treasure" show that I do twice a year around here. But though I don't save them I was just trying to figure out the ratio of blue/brown for my own interest. I'd be interested in seeing the photos when you're feeling better, thanks again, Eric

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi