Unusual glass lid bale seal type

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MaineRelic

Reaction score
I was recently digging a pit where I was struggling to get into stuff later than the 20's . When I hit a section that was a canning jar throw out . Quite a lot of broken lightning jars . I ended up with 8 aqua Lightning caps . I also dug two of the what I have dubbed : Martian style glass lid . I did not get a single Lightning jar out in one piece . . One of the Martian jars got thrown out with the cover still sealed to it . The bale wire was rusted away but it made it all the way home still sealed ! I have never come across this style before . Though not an expert I have been digging for a while now . My dad was a digger . He has never come across it ? Anyone ??? Thanks for looking and happy treasure hunting ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• 1abbbabb2ea34549b32a9b65252b51c5.jpg
    1abbbabb2ea34549b32a9b65252b51c5.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 127
  • fbb8329ef2774bae9d119536c374ba2b.jpg
    fbb8329ef2774bae9d119536c374ba2b.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 112
  • a10dc6ae3cfc46b7892fa2f18f7fe9fa.jpg
    a10dc6ae3cfc46b7892fa2f18f7fe9fa.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 121

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello MaineRelic, I haven't seen you here before, but there are a lot of members I don't know how many we have, but It has been an interesting lot of active collectors - and the comodrey is what gives it a lot of daily fun.,I have never been into a lot of any thing special except to resolve bottle making marks, which I consider to be bottle mysteries, which are normally marks and conditions relative to how they were made. I have collected and studied glass for 77+ years now. and spent 37 years traveling the world to sell special metal castings to the making of glass products. Check my h9me page for some of the information I have tried to cover for glass collectors information, I hope to get eight or ten more added this winter.I have not had any exposure to the jar you showed us. I have gotten into a lot of study 9f the wax ring jars, where the rings were {press fabricated) and put on top of new blown jars. I put the (brackets) on that because I have not found any good description of how they made them.This is the fourth ( I have or have not ) paragraph. I have collected and fondled a heck of a lot of glass in that time span.I will be looking up your jar for more understanding. RED Matthews

MaineRelic

Reaction score
RED Matthews said:
Hello MaineRelic, I haven't seen you here before, but there are a lot of members I don't know how many we have, but It has been an interesting lot of active collectors - and the comodrey is what gives it a lot of daily fun.,I have never been into a lot of any thing special except to resolve bottle making marks, which I consider to be bottle mysteries, which are normally marks and conditions relative to how they were made. I have collected and studied glass for 77+ years now. and spent 37 years traveling the world to sell special metal castings to the making of glass products. Check my h9me page for some of the information I have tried to cover for glass collectors information, I hope to get eight or ten more added this winter.I have not had any exposure to the jar you showed us. I have gotten into a lot of study 9f the wax ring jars, where the rings were {press fabricated) and put on top of new blown jars. I put the (brackets) on that because I have not found any good description of how they made them.This is the fourth ( I have or have not ) paragraph. I have collected and fondled a heck of a lot of glass in that time span.I will be looking up your jar for more understanding. RED Matthews
Thanks RED ! Any help would be appreciated ! If it helps you any . I should have enclosed this from the begginging of the post . There is Embossing on the Lid . Faint but it says only ; ( patented ) with a capital ( R ) unerneath it . . The bottom just has the number ( 5 ). Size I assume . I will post picks of the marks if it would help you . I an researching in the mean time . Surely there are more examples of this jar out there somewhere ? MaineRelic

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Your jar appears to be Redbook #3075, listed as a jelly jar. A simple wire clamp with ends fitted into the dimples on the sides was the closure. Listed in half pint only at $10-$15 complete.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I can see jelly, marmalade, mustard etc. but I was thinking sterile gauze myself. Anyway it looks like pint can be added to the book. Just guessing from the spoon on that though.

jargeezr

Reaction score
Tammy is correct. And some of the lids don't even have the R on them.John

Fruit Jars

Reaction score
I agree with Tammy it is a jelly jar. These are called Ripley jars. Came in various sizes. Jerry

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum