Earliest ACL Royal Crown Cola redux

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dbv1919

Reaction score
Morbious- That's a great RC bottle. I have some with the Louisville KY embossed on the bottom, I have never seen one with the city on the back under the goodhousekeeping logo in the ACL. Thanks for sharing.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I agree with the 1932 date for the introduction of the G in-a-square mark. Prior to 1932 most Glenshaw bottles were marked with G.G.CO. I have never seen the G.G.CO. mark, but never really looked for it and don't have that many non-acls to examine. As for the size of the G, the earlier G might be a little larger than the later G but the difference to me is almost unnoticeable. Please note: I'm not trying to split hairs as to these minute differences but rather trying to make this as comprehensive as possible for future reference. This could very well be the first time the Glenshaw codes have been examined this closely and I'm just trying to get it right. As for Morb's RC bottle being a 1935, I still have my doubts about that and just looking for more confirmation. The thing is, its either a 1935 bottle or it isn't. Thus, the G1 is just about the only thing we have to work with at the moment to determine an accurate date. Even Morb himself indicated its probably a 1936 ... G = 1935 + 1 = 1936 As for the size of the G's ... I tried to size these images the same but for various reasons its almost impossible for me to do that. So what I did is use the upper lip of the bottle for scale (because the lip portion is about the same on all Crown bottles) and then used the red lines to segment the entire closure into two sections. In other words, the G on both bottles appears to be about 1/2 the height of the upper lip. The long story short of it is, the G on both bottles look about the same size to me. After opening either image, gently roll your mouse wheel and the images will change back and forth ...

Attachments

• becd5c4a7d6e4542a887f11a83fc9cb9.jpg
    becd5c4a7d6e4542a887f11a83fc9cb9.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 90
  • 9d6681f3fa594184adafa05dd0c4f52d.jpg
    9d6681f3fa594184adafa05dd0c4f52d.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 91

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
You guys are blowing my mind with this stuff and I hope you'll share your findings with Dave Whitten and othersConnor may have just made an "oops" or maybe he does know something more, maybe you could ask.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Next Questions: 1. If Morb's bottle is a 1936, then why doesn't it have an H on it?2. Have we ever seen a solo G other than on the deco bottle? ... ( Sorry, I can't recall [8|])

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
morbious_fod said:
Before the forums were upgraded and thus locking all older threads there was a discussion about finding the first acl Royal Crown Cola. The poster had a line of bottles starting from 1936, and was wondering if there was one from 1935. This turned into a twelve page thread; however, I have yet to be able to ascertain whether or not they actually identified a 1935.

Sodapopbob was trying to verify it through ads on the Newspaper Archive site, which from experience I know is grossly lacking when looking for a complete source of newspapers, which is why I dropped them after a year; however, Squirtbob actually provided something that actually gave me pause when he posted one of his Upper 10 bottles marked G1 on the bulge under the lip.

The reason I was even researching this is that I was looking up the date codes for Glenshaw glass to attempt to date my clear glass embossed pointy pyramid Royal Crown Cola that I picked up today. This bottle was from Louisville, KY and the town name is in large thick letters which is unusual for the Royal Crown Colas that I have seen even from the period. Of course the "Good Housekeeping Bureau" seal is on the back. Just as Squirtbob's Upper 10 mine does have G1 on the buldge, and from the dating table in the third edition of the Painted Label Soda book, that makes it a 1935.

Not sure what the 1 means, or if it is even relevant, but I'm sure the 23 embossed on the other side isn't the date. I will take pictures when I get a chance. The original thread link is below and will take you to the page that Squirtbob posted the photo of his G1 bottle. If this does make it 1935 then it is the second oldest ACL I own, my other early embossed neck ACL is a 1937.

http://www.antique-bottle...Bottle-m650674-p3.aspx

Correction ... I misunderstood what Morb was saying about his bottle and thought he indicated it was a 1936. I see now where he said ... (See Above)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
squirtbob said:
Is it possible that G1 stands for 1936 and a G by itself was 1935 and then in subsequent years they decided to go with the alphabet in ascending order?

And then squirtbob came along later and said, in part ... (See Above)

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Consequently, I think the biggest question of all at the moment is ... Are there any Glenshaw ACL soda bottles marked on the lip with a Solo G ?

grime5

Reaction score
my old r-c is marked g-j.what year would that be.later greg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
grime5 said:
my old r-c is marked g-j.what year would that be.later greg
Um, ah ,,, according to the charts, that would make your bottle a ... 1935 / 1938 ( Which is crazier and more confusing than GH )

Latest posts

Staff online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp