Was this a veterinary bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

eric70

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was just curious about a couple of things on this bottle that I dug up some time ago. It measures apx. 2 3/4" (H) X 1"(W) X 3/4" (D). With it having this image of what looks like a dog, as well as having measuring lines on the back would that indicate that this was a veterinary bottle? Also, you see that notch on the lip, what kind of stopper went in there? If anyone has a photo of that type of stopper I'd like to see it so I can get familiar with how one of those looks. Thanks alot for any help, Eric

Attachments

• 7c534aeefb5949e081e94ec31966f6ba.jpg
    7c534aeefb5949e081e94ec31966f6ba.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 164
  • bd507b25c2d24b67a01745c482d806a1.jpg
    bd507b25c2d24b67a01745c482d806a1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 156
  • 7a5f240df4094ee1975d1c101c7cf828.jpg
    7a5f240df4094ee1975d1c101c7cf828.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 175

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I can only speculate the same thing you have.Since the inside doesn't look ground to fit a glass stopper, I'd say just a cork was used unless it came with a separate type.I'm thinking European, though I don't know just why. [8|]

eric70

Reaction score
Thanks for the response Eric....If there wasn't a special kind of stopper that went in there to fit the notch, then maybe the notch is there is help pour out the liquid more accurately... Eric

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. If there wasn't something tied and a "optional attachment" your thumb would do. Maybe with the animals open mouth embossed it was something like a mouth sore remedy? I really have no idea.

eric70

Reaction score
Me neither, we'll see if anyone else knows anything about it. One more thing, I am close to the Canadian border so perhaps it is from Canada and maybe someone there patented some sort of mechanism that went into that notch. Who knows?... Eric

eric70

Reaction score
That is pretty interesting. I have found baby doll bottles with the rubber nipple which were close in size to this one. But those ones had embossed DOLL-E-TOY or something like that, there was a reference on those bottles that indicated "DOLL". Maybe these particular ones with the dog on them which obviously had the nipple as I now know through your link (thanks for that) were to administer to your pet through the nipple as the doll type bottle. maybe also what the notch does is help release the air when an animal is suckling from it. I do not remember the doll bottles that i found having that notch in them. Perhaps it still really is a doll bottle but from my experience on finding the toy doll bottle, they had different embossing. Eric

bostaurus

Reaction score
I have always known them as doll bottles too. I do not know of any reference to them as dog medicines. I actually know of no dog medicine with a dog embossed on them. The labeled ones that have images of dogs are 'serious' and not stylized like this one.

eric70

Reaction score
Good to know. then we might just have to call this one a doll bottle. In between posts I was able to look up and see that the Doll-E-Toy bottle does have the notch as this one does, so maybe that was to help in airflow on feeding the doll. Also, even though there are "measurements" on the reverse of this bottle I am not sure if they are real increments. There are 16 marks and every other mark has a number until ending at the number 8. If I fill the bottle up to the number 8 which is the 16th mark, I can dump that perfectly into 1 tablespoon, which is roughly 15ml. Perhaps they are Mls, or maybe they are not real measurements. Well, I think we have our answer then, doll bottle. Would you agree? Eric

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That makes sense, the notch threw me. A temporary additional problem added to a always perplexed mind. [:)]Melinda is the pro so I have not doubts now.Well, except maybe a candy bottle.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi