Was this a veterinary bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

goodman1966

Reaction score
Found one of the bottles in question today. They let me take pics. Top is embossed as follows... SUNRUCO SUN BABE. Bottom of bottle embossed with a B in a circle. The notch is there, but I think it was just to help hold the top on. Pics
[attachment=image(VM).jpg]
[attachment=image.jpg]

Attachments

• 067482d33fb34642bcb7a3f8e3d5b8ee.jpg
    067482d33fb34642bcb7a3f8e3d5b8ee.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 02ae002763504671beb9c32012e9e252.jpg
    02ae002763504671beb9c32012e9e252.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 92

goodman1966

Reaction score
More pics
[attachment=image(KM).jpg]
[attachment=image.jpg]

Attachments

• 5c609f61423441abb8125431f4657a11.jpg
    5c609f61423441abb8125431f4657a11.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 3f5ea966669c4d048b9b13d836c93d10.jpg
    3f5ea966669c4d048b9b13d836c93d10.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 87

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
A lead, thank you and yippi!
LIFE 1949 on google

[attachment=Clipboard01.jpg] And maybe it's a kangaroo. EBAYIt does kinda look like one.

Attachments

• 49f81240f60e4ac08f720d196cd2a055.jpg
    49f81240f60e4ac08f720d196cd2a055.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 79

eric70

Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. Goodman...back on the first page Boudreau117 posted a link to ebay with this bottle being for sale as a doll's bottle. With your being able to see what the wording is on the nipple confirms then that it is a doll's bottle. I think the notch might be there to allow air flow in when "feeding" the doll as i don't believe the doll can suck as a real baby would and being that the bottle is not plastic you couldn't squeeze the liquid out. But no matter what the notch is there for, we now know it is indeed a doll's bottle. thanks to everyone involved in the caper. Eric

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Eric70, The darn thing ended up here in my mail box today. It is interesting, and the seams confirm that it was formed in the guide ring, which fits in the neckring of an ABM. The guide ring fits in the neck ring and forms the top of the finish area. This guidering no doubt formed the grove also, though I don't remember ever seeing this set up. The Wheaton Glass Co. in New Jersey made a lot of tiny bottles on their I-S Emhart machines. I will have to ask Jim Boughter, who worked for them, when they were customers of mine. He has retired now but we still keep in touch, because he comes to Watkins Glen NY for the races each year. The bottom shows a B in a circle - which I didn't look up yet. So that could be Ball or Brockway. It also had a 1 - which I assume was the mold number. The graduated scale makes me think of it being a medicine bottle for a veterinarian-needle for giving dogs shots. One time when our vet was doctoring our dog - I asked him for the bottle he used - I still have it somewhere, in a box marked tinny bottles. It didn't have the notch or the dog on it, though. The bottle is unique though and I was wondering if I could just send you a trade item. in exchange. I don't know what kind of glass you collect. Through the 77 years I have been collecting, I have somewhere in the neighbor hood of a couple thousand pieces made of glass. My interest has been mainly based on the mehcanics of the hand blown glass maker, to see the mysteries of forming, turn molding, tooled and forming marks that they created on the glass - has been the main interest I looked for in the hand made glass. The pinched half leaf glass that fell into the mold when it was reopened, when the bottle was being made and the pinch fell into the mold and became part of the product - that sometimes got filled and supplied to the consumers. Things like the bird swings and press and blow spikes, are defects that some times got to the consumers also.It has been a great hobby and I appreciate examining this bottle you sent. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well one of you sent me this bottle, and I have no idea because the box got discarded by my better half. I am sure it was a bottle for veterinary medication, because of the dog and I now have three similar bottles in my little bottles collection that were for that purpose. R$ED M.

eric70

Reaction score
Yes, I sent it a while ago to you Red. I hadn't heard from you so and just sent you a PM before seeing that you posted here. My return address info was on a piece of paper along with a hand written note, but you must not have gotten that. I'm sure we can work something out. Talk to you soon. Eric

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi Eric. I got the bottle and some how had trouble getting back to this thread. The bottle ia without doubt a bottle for a veterinarians supply of serum for a dog. I have a couple others of plain round packaging that I got from our dog's Dr. before.
This one was made on an ABM, where the little locking key slot was made with a guide ring that had the male key bar inserted in the cavity of the guide ring, that is carried in the neck ring mold equipment piece. You haven;t told me what you expect for it in return. It wouldn't be worth enough t0 cover your postage even. I appreciate the satisfaction of studying it. RED Matthews

eric70

Reaction score
Well Red, in your initial PM to me you were rather eager to get it and offered me $20 which included postage, I was not expecting that much at all, but now that you have the bottle and had a chance to study it, now you tell me it's not worth the postage it cost me to send it to you..nice . I was hoping maybe a $10 bill would do to cover the postage and let me make a few bucks on the bottle. But hey, you keep the thing..study it, toss it...do whatever you want with it...but do me a favor, the next time I happen to post on the forum asking what this bottle or that bottle may be...or if i am offering bottles for sale...don't bother helping me out. thanks, Eric

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu