Early 1910's ? Vancouver Breweries Soda bottle.. any help you can offer?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Canadacan

Reaction score
I saw this on the way out of an antique store today, it was at the front counter and I just got the one picture :(Now I can't read the brand name of the soda!....It depicts the Lion's peaks inside some type of wreath design and is marked Vancouver Breweries along the bottom. Any one that can help out with more details or value as I do not have any books on these bottles.Thanks...Ivan [attachment=Vancouver Breweries soda.jpg]

Attachments

• e9fe3baa4bd54511b04e5d0eec778f22.jpg
    e9fe3baa4bd54511b04e5d0eec778f22.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 168

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
The brand name is Silver Top. It's quite a rare one I think, other than one I saw on Ebay once I don't remember ever seeing any others.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Silver Top!...cool! Now the name has a familiar ring to it but I've never run across one before, do you think the asking price of $20 dollars if fair?..it has no chips or cracks just the usuall little bit of case wear and tiny nicks...and of course maybe a good cleaning might help it .

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
20 dollars is probably fair, though in that condition maybe a bit less since it's got some pretty serious staining. It'll probably be a while before you see another so if you want it I'd say go for it. Tumbling it would probably make it look pretty good again. Early ABM sodas on the west coast were usually made with really low quality glass anyway so you're unlikely to find a dug example that doesn't look like that. And the name might be familiar because of Silver Tip Bottlers in Kamloops, a pretty similar name but a more common bottle.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Thank you for the input!...I may go back and get, It's a neat bottle.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yes I should have grabbed that bottle at the time!...it's been 5 long years since I posted this and have not seen another!, where has the time gone?! But in the mean time I was able to dig up a little bit on the history via newsprint ads.
Vancouver Breweries started bottling Silver Top around 1916 and bottled at least 10 products under this name according to one advertisement, this lasted up until about 1926 when the company embarked on a new branded name which went on to become one of the most successful in British Columbia.....I won't name that brand in this update though.

The earliest ad I could find was dated
27 Jan 1918 from The Vancouver Sun...interesting that they advertised their beer products along side the soda.
I found four ads from 1918, and two others from 1925 that are for Canadian rye whisky.

Silver Top soda-The Vancouver Sun, 27 Jan 1918

Felix Bottlers related-Silver Top soda-The Vancouver Sun, 27 Jan 1918, Sun, Page 27 .jpg

Silver Top-Vancouver Brewery- The Vancouver Sun, 10 Feb 1918

Felix brand related-Silver Top-Vancouver Brewery- The Vancouver Sun, 14 Apr 1918, Sun, Page 2.jpg

Silver Top-Vancouver Brewery- The Province, 14 Dec 1925
Felix brand related-Silver Top-Vancouver Brewery-  The Province, 14 Dec 1925, Mon, Page 15.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora