New Palmerton bottles!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

houseman

Reaction score
Today I added my first piece of stoneware. This jug is stenciled in blue CHARLES HORLACHER WHOLESALE LIQUOR DEALER PALMERTON, PA.
There's quite a bit of grime on the outside. Does anyone know the best way to clean stoneware without damaging the glaze or the stenciling? Can you damage the glaze and stenciling? I'm not very familiar with stoneware.

The other piece I got today is a pyro glazed medicine bottle from Palmerton. E.F. ESHLEMAN M.D. With the address and phone number. I know this type of medicine bottle is mid-20th century and too new for some people, but I like them!

Attachments

• fb8db902197e43a396a7de2d9ed86895.jpg
    fb8db902197e43a396a7de2d9ed86895.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 081dc36f904441f09b359ddcc846a6d9.jpg
    081dc36f904441f09b359ddcc846a6d9.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 54

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Damaging the glaze is pretty difficult, and as long as the stenciling is under the glaze (which it almost always is and it's easy to tell if it isn't) it should be safe as long as you don't use any really crazy strong acids or anything. Though I don't know what sort of grime that is, grime doesn't usually stick to glazed stoneware very well. If it's crazing (dirt in tiny cracks in the glaze) then there isn't much you can do that I know of.And I like those ACL pharmacy bottles as well! They seem to get overlooked a lot but I think in a few decades will be appreciated a lot more. I've only got two at this point, both semi-locals. I don't think they were too popular in Canada; I can't think of any others that exist.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I agree, just wash is with soap and water. If it comes off great but it looks like it's under the glaze.

houseman

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I appreciate the replies. It does kind of look like the "dirt" is supposed to be there under the glaze but it also looks like someone was able to clean some off in a spot on the back at some point. The surface isn't really crazed so I'll see what I can do. If it doesn't come off then I guess it's original and that much better!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It could be the clay or poor glazing on the inside and the content seeped though. It might have been a rush job and it wasn't baked properly one or both times. IDK.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum