JNO ARTO HOUSTON BELFAST GINGER ALE bottle rounded bottom

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

truedigr

Reaction score
About the beginner's luck, it happens all the time. I have taken friends along to my dumpsite that I have been digging on and off for 20 years. I have always wanted to dig a complete Kewpie doll. My friend dug one first day 9" tall and a Rose O'neil at that. I have never dug a perfect milk here. Same guy same day digs 2 perfect milks from 2 different firms. This dump dates 1890- 1920. Was I a little envious, of course, but I was more happy for him than jealous. Another time I was digging an earlier dump with a friend digging beside me. At this time I have never dug a hutch. He wasn't finding much in his hole, so I was nice enough to let him jump in my hole while I went to the truck. When I get back he had dug 3 perfect hutches. I get back in and there were no more to be found. It took another year or so before I finally got to dig one. He did give me a hutch, but it just wasn't the same as digging it myself. You just never know about this wonderful hobby. RC

scottr

Reaction score
Nice bottle but the torpedo bottle is in a complete different class then this style if your looking to sale get what someone will give you for if

scottr

Reaction score
I would figure more in the $60 range .but that's me lol

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Either way I can't find ANY evidence a Codd, torpedo or Hamilton from Texas or any state were made at a US factory. I feel they were all UK imports. It could maybe be a case of the patent holders not allowing them to state it but still allowing the product to be sold but I'd think a record would show up somewhere?Does anyone know different?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I can' be of much help. I have two torpedo bottles a round bottom and a partial rounded bottom bottle, but I can;t get to them right now. RED M.

Arto Ancestor

Reaction score
Hello, John Arto is one of my ancestors, and I would be keen to know if there is anyone who is selling an Arto bottle or knows more about Arto's Bottling company. I thought I would start with a thread bump and by way of contributing something interesting, please see the image of the 1880 census where my great x5 uncle lists his trade as soda water maker.
Arto 1880 Census.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
That's super cool! I've only dug one of the Arto bottles (the "round bottom")...dug it in Galveston. Never seen one for sale but have seen one of the squats for sale some time ago. The hutch soda is probably the best looking bottle but I've never seen one of those for sale. Good luck on your quest.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
I think the round bottom started as an approach to insuring storage on the bottles' side to keep the cork wet. I'm not certain to what degree the rounded bottom became a tradition with ginger ale.

sodasgingeralepair.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi