Sailboat /New Jersey Bridgetown

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Ericka, Hello and Congratulation is in order for what you have . I can only suggest that you take your time and get some consulting with someone that can help you really know what you have ended up with. Some of them that you have shown have great value, and I am sure worth a lot more to you if you do the right homework. Read my home page and my email address is <bottlemysteries@yahoo.com>. I have to feel you need to do a lot of homework, before you cash in what you want to or need to sell. RED Matthews

Rika

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you guys, not what I expected. I would never have thought bottles could make you emotional. I am torn between the fascination of them, their history and beauty and its a great little starter collection and then the fact that I could really use some money. Will have to think about this but if I was going to sell them what is the best way? auction? Also my daughter who is an art student told me we are 30 min from Wheaton glass museum, guess where I am going this weekend. Also here is the pic of the santa bottle from what I can tell there are not repro's of these and I really like it regardless but a plus is that I found this info on M.G Husted , I guess I find it especially interesting because I live in New Jersey.http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Husted-95

Attachments

• 77c22988a1f04c6583131b7ce8554fba.jpg
    77c22988a1f04c6583131b7ce8554fba.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 81

Rika

Reaction score
Great Site! RED Matthews alot of information for me to look at and thank you for your comments. Sunrunner I was looking at your blog also, I cant believe you actually are able to dig up bottles, wow! very cool

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Most people who inherit boxes of bottles inherit junk. You have not inherited junk. The sloop flask is valuable, the centennial bitters is valuable, the two little green flasks are probably New England origin, early 1800s and valuable. Don't put this stuff in a garage sale for $10. You've got some genuine value there. Give us more pics please. Jim G

NHkeith

Reaction score
You have some great bottles. the small little bottles with no embossing are called chestnut bottles. and they can go for some good money, especially the smaller ones. giving them to the right auction house will make some good money. they usually take 10%-25% to sell your items. but for a bottle specific auctioneer, its worth it. they do the work, and pay you when its done. But those type of sales are NOT instant. It can take a 3-5 months for the sale to happen and to get your money. I would look for a local buyer who will give you a good honest price. I personally think you should keep them!!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
nhpharm said:
Wow. Some good stuff. That little olive green chestnut bottle with the cork is probably about a $400 bottle. The Simon's Centennial Bitters looks right and if so is roughly a $750-$900 bottle. The Jenny Lind is definitely a reproduction worth $8-10. The round bottom bottle is a soda (likely British) and is worth maybe $3-$5. The bottle with the pewter screwtop is probably a baby bottle and is early...probably ~$300 on that one. Looks like you have some quality stuff mixed up with some lower end stuff. Definitely research it all before selling.
nhpharm has it correct on all accounts, in my opinion, and that Simons might do a little better if it is as perfect looking as it appears. Keep posting as there are some truly valuable gems mixed in with the rest! Jack

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Rika said:
"I would never have thought bottles could make you emotional." I would chew off my left arm to dig one of those sailboat flasks! Or better yet, YOUR arm! HA! Ever watch the metal detectorists hoot, holler and do cartwheels over finding a crusty button on the diggers show? You should hear the hollering of a bottle digger finding a good bottle! Jack

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Rika said:
Also here is the pic of the santa bottle from what I can tell there are not repro's of these and I really like it regardless but a plus is that I found this info on M.G Husted , I guess I find it especially interesting because I live in New Jersey.http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Husted-95
That's very interesting and if correctly linked blows the lid off the old theory that the Husted bottles were European. That's what was the speculation was 50 years ago.

PS there are at least two forms known. Some people call them an old Russian guy, some Santa.That's my recollection from 1970's articles I read.

Rika

Reaction score
cowseatmaize , I sent a message to MG Husted great granddaughter to see if she knows, seems she is a librarian so she may be helpful.cannibalfromhaaibal, "Ever watch the metal detectorists hoot, holler and do cartwheels over finding a crusty button on the diggers show? You should hear the hollering of a bottle digger finding a good bottle! Jack" [font="verdana, geneva; line-height: 1.8"]I think its time for the Bottlediggers reality show, Hey btw are there any good bottle collector documentaries?[/font] So here are two that I am not sure are they considered bottles?

Attachments

• 3379275f0c294753a1b1a42ec0a1ae0e.jpg
    3379275f0c294753a1b1a42ec0a1ae0e.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 259103224a1249e4898af68c861725a0.jpg
    259103224a1249e4898af68c861725a0.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 84

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics