Cross & Co. Vancouver B.C. 1894-1963

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks Cc

Other than in Ads and on a few Signs and Trays, the only ACTUAL Schweppes bottle I can find from Canada or England that has the script label is the one pictured here -- and its a miniature that I'm not sure where its from. Now I'm starting to wonder if the regular size script label bottles were even sold in England. ???

Schweppes Bottle Minature with Script Label.JPG

SODABOB

Reaction score
I was able to determine the miniature bottle is from England -- but still don't know when it was made. I enlarged and enhanced the attached pics the best I could -- maybe they will provide a clue or two. I'd sure like to know what it says below the red seal -- but can't make it out.

Schweppes Bottle Minature with Script Label Rezized.JPG

Schweppes Bottle Minature with Script Label Neck.JPG

Schweppes Bottle Minature with Script Label  Close Up.JPG

Schweppes Bottle Minature with Script Label Seal.JPG

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I suspect it says "By Appointment to Her Majesty The Queen" in the first two lines. The words are roughly the right length and shape. I would be extremely surprised if these bottles weren't sold in the UK considering how many ads show them across multiple decades. Keep in mind that bottles of this era are not widely collected over there, so it's not too surprising to me that no one would have bothered to post a picture of one online. For example, just look at how few British mid-century soda or milk bottles show up online compared to Canadian ones, despite the UK having twice the population.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Cc

I agree its hard to find certain UK bottles - I'm experiencing that as we speak - but I would still like to find at least one of the regular-size bottles just to confirm they actually exist.

By the way, here's the link where I found the miniature bottle ...

1. The bottles are listed alphabetically -- Scroll to the Schweppes listings
2. Then click where it says "View Info"
3. Then click on the full page / expand symbol in the upper right corner
4. Use slide bars to view close up

http://www.hilarypagetoys.com/Home/Products/87/0

If I understand what it says on their home page, the collection was apparently accumulated between 1937 and 1954

Schweppes Bottle Minature Home Page Text Suggesting 1932 to 1957.jpg

Last edited:

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Here's another image I found. Looks like at some point the fountain in the red circle was replaced with a coat of arms.
e091ec07-3bee-4177-a965-41c5b0a3606e.jpg

I also found this very high resolution image of one of these labels from 1942. Note the text at the bottom: "Issued only by Schweppes Limited" which suggests they were having problems with imitators.
s-l1600.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
CB

Fantastic Finds!

Because the bottles shown in the ads appear to be actual bottles and not just illustrations, that confirms they were produced at some point. However (and please don't think I'm being obstinate for saying this) it only confirms they were advertised and not necessarily produced for distribution. This goes back to what I said earlier about "bottles speak for themselves." Which means if they were actually produced for distribution, then there's gotta be some examples of them somewhere. I'm attaching a 1930 magazine ad from London that shows one of the bottles -- if it represents an actual bottle sold at the time, then we are talking about a possible timeline from 1930 to 1942 - which is twelve years. That's a long time and a lot of bottles if they were actually produced for distribution. And yet we still can't find an ACTUAL bottle. Call me a skeptic, but I'm still not 100% convinced they were ever put on the open market. I honestly think we are missing something, but not sure what it is ... Wait! I just remembered! We're missing an actual bottle! (Lol) :rolleyes:

Schweppes Magazine Ad London 1930 (1).jpg

Schweppes Magazine Ad London 1930 (2).jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well they still had a 'Dry' Ga in the 70's...but in a modern label style.

Schweppes Ga-1970s.jpg

I'm more so of the thought that the bottle was produced, that's just too many different decades of the same label advertised for it to not have been produced.
Here it is on a tray from the 40's - 50's

Schwepps tray.jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Notice on the Tray and other examples where SCHWEPPES is embossed on the heel. It could be those types of bottles have been right in front of us all along but what's missing are the PAPER LABELS. The example I'm attaching might be an example - but missing the paper label. So it could be that what we should be looking for are not the bottles themselves, but the paper labels that were intended for them. Of course this might be a lot easier said than done because certain paper labels are extremely hard to find. Think of how many millions of original Coca Cola paper labels there were - but try and find one now and it will not be as easy as it seems. So, from this point forward I am going to focus on the paper labels and see what I can find. By the way, these particular bottles aren't necessarily easy to find either. So far I have only found two examples. At the present I don't know who made them or when, but intend to look into that.

Schweppes Bottle Generic with Embossed Heel.jpg

Schweppes Bottle Generic Embossed Heel.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Yesterday, I sent an inquiry to this Schweppes collector / website in Germany to see if he had one of the bottles and/or paper labels, or knew anything about them - and he (Hans-Jurgen Krackher) sent me a reply this morning saying he would get back to me soon. If anyone can solve the mystery, I'm hoping he can.

https://spiritschweppes.com/2014/03/03/storytelling-schweppes-since-1783/

Schweppes Collection (1).jpg

He also sent me this picture that isn't shown on his website

Schweppes Collection from Hans-Jurgen Krackher November 2019.jpg

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Check out this Schweppes ashtray. Especially notice the bottle is a blob-top with a cork. The base is marked with "E.P. Co. ~ Empire Works ~ Stoke-on-Trent ~ England. I haven't fully researched the company's history, but I did find the attached newspaper snippet that may or may not date the ashtray ...

Schweppes Astray Fronk UK eBay (1).jpg

Schweppes Ashtray Back UK eBay (1).jpg

Schweppes Ashtray_The_Oshkosh_Northwestern_Wisconsin_Sun__Aug_10__1997.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora