Cross & Co. Vancouver B.C. 1894-1963

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
I posted this 1929 full page article earlier but wanted to point out a couple of things that might have been overlooked -- namely that Cross & Co's Ginger Ale is shown as one of the B.C. trademarks in 1929. They might have established their trademark earlier, but this should give us a date to start with and work backwards from. It also shows one of their bottles in the upper-left corner that has the type of label being discussed ...

Cross & Co Ginger Ale Trademark_The_Vancouver_Sun_Sat__Nov_30__1929.jpg

Cross & Co. Ginger Ale Trademark__The_Vancouver_Sun_Vancouver_B.C._Canada_Sat__Nov_30__1929 (7).jpg

Cross & Co. Ginger Ale Trade,ark__The_Vancouver_Sun_Vancouver_B.C._Canada_Sat__Nov_30__1929 (8).jpg

Cross & Co. Ginger Ale_The_Vancouver_Sun_Vancouver_B.C._Canada_Sat__Nov_30__1929 (2).jpg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Update / Reminder / Earliest of the two labels so far ...

Schweppes ~ 1914

Schweppes_The_Province_Vancouver_B.C._Canada Wed__Dec_23__1914 (3).jpg

Cross & Co. ~ 1929

Cross & Co. Ginger Ale_The_Vancouver_Sun_Vancouver_B.C._Canada_Sat__Nov_30__1929 (2).jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
That's what i suspected, and that's why the Cross is on the 1958 10oz.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I don't have that one in my collection and I've never seen one in person that I can remember, but I am aware that it exists. I think it's one of the harder to find Cross ACLs. Not sure where it fits into the timeline, that style of generic bottle was used for quite a while, to my knowledge at least from the mid-30s to the mid-50s.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Detour >>>>

I don't know which of the Vancouver Cross & Co bottles you guys have in your collections, but do you have or are you aware of this one?

Bob yes I was aware of that bottle, you did post it on this thread way back on page 6,7,8 maybe???..lol. I stated then the bottle style seemed to be used from about 1945-55...but I now concur what CB said for the earlier mid 30's as I now have one from a different bottler dated 1938.
Yes CB they are difficult to obtain....I'm at ground zero here and have only had the opportunity to ad that bottle to my collection once in the last 5 years, and well....I'm still hunting :(

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I dug a dump a while back which was packed with this style of bottle (embossed) and was mixed in with license plates from the mid-1930s. None of them had date codes on the bottom but I'd be confident in assuming that they were in use at least by 1936. Since they were also for bottlers located hundreds of kilometres away from where they were dug, they were likely in use a few years before that.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks for refreshing my memory about the Cross & Co. Limited bottle. I forgot it was posted earlier, and will keep my eyes peeled for one.

When I said the 1914 Schweppes bottle with the script label was the earliest I could find from Vancouver, I should have said it was also one of the latest. In other words, the ONLY examples I can find of that particular label in the Vancouver newspapers are from 1914 and 1915. Everything after 1915 depicts a different label. But at this juncture I can't say with certainty if this means that particular label was only used for two years in Vancouver, or whether it was even used at all. The lack of an actual bottle from Vancouver is concerning, and newspaper illustrations are not always the most reliable source. I'm going out on a limb and suggest that since there are no known examples of the Schweppes script bottle from Vancouver, that they might not exist and never were used in Vancouver. There is a saying that bottles speak for themselves -- which is another way of saying -- no example suggest non-existence.

However, check out these newspaper ads from London, England ...

Schweppes_The_Observer_London_England_Sun__Sep_12__1937 (1).jpg

Schweppes_The_Observer_London_England_Sun__Nov_21__1954.jpg

Questions ...

1. Is it possible the Schweppes script label bottle was NEVER sold in Vancouver, Canada?

2. If it never was sold in Vancouver, does that mean there was NEVER an issue with Cross & Co. using the script label?

3. Is it possible the 1914 Vancouver newspaper ILLUSTRATION of the script label bottle originated in England and not Canada?

4. Where is the PROOF that the Schweppes script label bottle was ever sold in Vancouver?

Last edited:

SODABOB

Reaction score
Speaking of 1954 Schweppes newspaper ads from ...

Vancouver, Canada

Schweppes_The_Vancouver_Sun_Vancouver_Canada_Thu__Jun_17__1954.jpg

Schweppes_The_Province_Vancouver_Canada_Tue__Jul_20__1954.jpg

Totally different labels than those advertised in London, England in 1954 ... ???

Canadacan

Reaction score
Well for the 1920's, 30's, 40's in the Vancouver area Cross's and Felix probably had the market tied up. Schweppes would have just been an import right? Yes maybe that ad originated in England

Well I was under the impression that Schweppes had two label designs one for Dry Ga and one for regular. I don't know the proper origins of this ad but it indicates it was from Paris.

Cross vs Schweeps labels.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi