Need to vent. I know it's ''just a fish'' but it's unacceptable treatment.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The teacher got several other fish--pond fish; since then one has been attacked over and over and is being pulled apart piece by piece. I had talked to her several times, giving her suggestions like tank dividers or that I'd take the fish since there's no reason in having a fish if it's going to be killed--this over a period of days. Finally, before the bell rang I went up and told her that she basically is mistreating her fish by allowing this to go on. It's a territory thing we all think, and the fish has no where to go. It is unacceptable that she is not doing anything. I told her it's proven animals feel-- she gave a small laugh sort of thing. She said she "resented" that I told her she's ''mistreating'' her fish by not doing a thing. But by saying that I'm too ''oversensitive'' I am angry. I also asked didn't they make beta-fighting illegal like cock-fights and dog-fights? I could easily have done it in front of the class when the issue first came up today, but I didn't want her to feel like she was under attack--I recalled a sermon about taking your problems with somebody to that person and discussing it calmly before talking to anyone else; as none of you can know her, I thought it safe to ''vent,'' as my mate would call it, here. Doesn't seem to have made a difference that I did it in a more private setting, and she said that if the fish died in transition, it could be on my ''conscious.'' Fish can't get away from constant attack when in a tank, you know? We both obviously bit our tongues, and I have rage issues that sometimes I wake from without knowing what happened or why something is... the way it then is--I tend to, if I explode, take it out on me or the nearest items when I can actually control it. I don't get a choice to control it sometimes... so I'm amazed I was so calm. Only one student was watching, so this time I didn't blow up at a teacher who was doing something wrong. I am happy I didn't have to threaten to involve the school officials in it--fish feel too, but I believe she scoffed at that. Fish are living, and in a tank are trapped. If the officials wouldn't listen to that, I know they'd listen when I would say "It doesn't demonstrate sailor pride"-- 'Sailor' being our mascot, pride being that we're a school that supposedly highly values morals and character in all aspects--"to let abuse go on." It bothers me severely, and is a disruption to our learning environment when people focus on the gang of koi and gold fish going after the poor tattered one that has shocked us all by surviving so long. I was advised by my mother to offer to pay ten dollars so that she can't say I stole the fish. The teacher only gave in because she "didn't want to listen to" me "complain anymore about a fish." She is possessive of the fish but treats them like they're material items. I know it's a territory thing; and if it were in the wild I'd not interfere, but the fish has no where to go and is losing fins and scales like trees do leaves here in late fall. She is being insensitive and ignorant, and I have lately been highly stressed and upset enough to be fed-up. She's heartless when it comes to non-humans. I'm nice to her, and she knows I'm a high-stress person (when it comes to technology, I begin to crack and that class uses a lot of tech.,) so why was she so angry (she thankfully bit her tongue as well and pulled at her hair as she forced nicer words out than what she obviously wanted to say.) I don't think I did anything wrong--except that she remained sitting and I standing, thus possibly making her feel like I'm a towering threat--as I handled it better than she, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped. Whether you think fish feel pain or not, they do--if you were being slammed into the wall and bit as parts of you were pulled away piece by piece over a period of time, well... that's the fish-- tell me what I did wrong in handling it? I am not exaggerating, as I know how easy that is to do and I tend to be careful not to do that. Yes, I am angry about a fish-- but my anger didn't take true hold till I was in the hall and could finally burn. *Sighs.*
Another random question: The other day, I saw a sign that said, "Beverage Parts." If you saw the sign, would you think it made drinks or it was a machine-part company named Beverage?

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I agree, but, it is her fish, unless you can convince her to rescue it by giving it away. maybe if you showed up with a gallon jar or other container of water and asked her to let you have the fish, there is nothing more you can do. I am sorry that you have too endure this cruelty, I would if you can put aside your feelings and move on. the only other thing you could do is take the fish when she is not around, but that is not the best thing for you to do.............Andy

sandchip

Reaction score
I worry that you have rage issues. Loss of one's temper can cause all kinds of irreparable damage. Not judging at all, because I've been there and it ain't pretty. I'm glad that you remained calm, but inside the pressure still builds. Maybe something like a heavy bag would help in order to keep that pressure at manageable levels. Tape those knuckles and go at it. There's a lot of bad in this old world that we can never change, so it's up to us not to let it destroy us, 'cause it's hell having a big heart. The scripture in Ephesians 4:26 is sage advice, but one of the toughest to follow. Continue to vent on us all you need, brother.

Stardust

Reaction score
Spirit Bear, I think you were mighty brave to stand up to your teacher and and advocate for the fish that was being attacked. Tells me you do have a kind heart also. Your story touched my heart and made me think.... Writing is also a wonderful outlet for anger. I'll bet you felt a bit better after you wrote it all down here on the forum. They say if you write for 5 mins every day, before bed and write anything that comes into your head. You will feel much better. Get a blank journal and make it your safe place to write whatever you feel. My mom always said, " better out than in" but, there's a time and a place for everything. Many people with anger issues never even acknowledge it or turn their anger around and blame everything on everyone else. Often hurting the people they love the most. Words hurt, and some can never, ever be taken back. I think your ahead of the game knowing you have some work to do. I wish you and the fish the very best.Take Care,Stardust

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I really smiled over that fish logic write-up. I guess I smiled because some family's are hit with the same logical mistreatment. Ben- there- and seen it happen. RED M.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
In the end it was the last thing needed to set me off and I took a full bottle of pills which put me in the hospital... Mom got the fish, though. I'm still with side effects, so don't expect me on for a day or two.
Thanks for your support, everyone. Take care.

glass man

Reaction score
WOW! SORRY YOU RESORTED TO THE PILLS MAN! Then what is that crap teacher teaching?To not care? Also pond fish belong in a POND!!! I had a BIOLOGY Teacher that had a small aquarium in her room..when she was out I put some of the feed in the tank just t watch them eat..the Teacher came in looked at the fish eating and got really mad saying she had fed her fish and over feeding them could kill them..then she asked "WHO FED THEM" I meekly raised my hand and old her I was sorry...Wish my old BIOLOGY TEACHER COULD HAVE SEEN WHAT YOUR TEACHER WAS DOING!! PLEASE DON'T EVER DO THE PILL THING AGAIN..EVER ...YOU ARE LOVED HERE AND AS MUCH AS I TOO LOVE ANIMALS/FISH..YOU ..I LOVE FAR MORE THEN ANY FISH !! JAMIE

sandchip

Reaction score
Some teachers (and coaches) have no business doing either. It's as if they lose sight of why they are there and how things that they say will stick with a child or young adult for the rest of their lives. I'm sure that they all have personal problems or aches and pains of their own, but they should be disciplined enough not to bring it to the classroom and take it out on the kids. This is no blanket condemnation of faculty in general, because many teachers are golden, but the others I'd tell 'em off and take the paddling if I could do it over again, but they'd get an idea of just where the problem lies.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Glass Man, I'm easily set off by things when under stress. Sandchip, very true.
Thanks for caring, amigos. In the end, there was another fish being attacked too (currently the brown spots where the little bites were kind of worry me) and I was able to get that one as well. She must have been having a good day this time. Lol. All her other fish are getting along well, but now we're going to have to get a larger tank.
The fish WOULD NOT cooperate, nor would the light work out, but here is a pic of the first fish:
What you cannot see is all the scales missing from his lower half. He was originally solid orange with golden underbelly, not anymore.

Attachments

• 20a994b157ae4a75915409ab6647c6be.jpg
    20a994b157ae4a75915409ab6647c6be.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 105

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Other fish-- the one with brown spots that weren't there before. They got even rougher with this one.
Glass Man, over eating can cause issues-- I don't know how it is with other fish, but with betas it can cause--of all things-- constipation. Give them a skinned, cooked pea and it fixes them--betas at least.

Attachments

• 6707aa0a3f944deba8260e0d3c8ba0fa.jpg
    6707aa0a3f944deba8260e0d3c8ba0fa.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 105

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94