When do you stop digging?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Cherokee23

Reaction score
I went back to the site today and starting poking around some ravines.I found some rust and glass and started to dig. I found some older stuff. But once again it didn't go very deep and little popped out. Still some cool stuff. It was difficult digging, so many trees and roots. Here are some pics of the stuff I found in the 50s pit. Also found a ball jar from the 20s but it had a lip fracture.
DSC_0564_zps5f5d0e55.jpg
DSC_0565_zps7899b03d.jpg
This is what I found in the ravine.
DSC_0567_zpsa4ac5db8.jpg
DSC_0568_zpsd3342df8.jpg
DSC_0576_zps453926bf.jpg
DSC_0572_zpsb202519f.jpg

Cherokee23

Reaction score
Not digging, had cracked my finger nail lol.The stone thing is actually ceramic I think, not sure though. Neat little ship.And that's a button, military?I also found a Blue Bell token but it is rusted to high heavens.

David Fertig

Reaction score
I am assuming you are a new(er) digger/collector. Most of what you show is too new to have much value, but it should provide a decent collection of different shapes and colors to fill your shelves or windows until you can upgrade. My main collection is mostly local bottles and I collect anything from early squats to milks. And seems as though I collect jars since there are some from Carlisle - although I still hate jars. The Southern Dairies look late '20's to early 40's. There may be a small two digits on the bottom for the year, such as 32 or possibly something like 3S2 in the center for 1932. I have seen these bottles around and do not think they have much value, but they would encourage me to keep digging as long as you are finding glass. And there is always the possibility of a late throw, but if the house is only from the '20's, then that might be even a longer shot. My opinion is that if the house is from the '20's the original homeowners probably took more time to bury, burn, or hide their trash. These shallow surface dumps tend to come either when the homeowner(s) get older and no longer have the means - energy, money, will - to do more then walk to the edge of their property and throw their trash. Or possibly from subsequent homeowners or tenants who did not care as much or did not want to spend money to get rid of their trash. Good luck and welcome to AB

cobaltbot

Reaction score
I like Jack's answer, Happy Belated Jack!!!in which case the answer is NEVER!!!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
hi diddle diddle, that wallet thing is cool. Reason enough to keep going IMO. Amazing condition all things considered.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Any Beer cans in there would probably be worth more then the bottles. No Insult Intended. LEON.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnny Rocky