Need betta-fish help ASAP!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I got another betta as well. This is a poor image, but it shows her blood-red body flecked with purple.

Attachments

• 485137717f88497da53f3776405c2822.jpg
    485137717f88497da53f3776405c2822.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 53

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Is this one afflicted currently? Saw the post title "need help". The previous betta seemed to have bacterial fin rot and also possibly wasting away disease. With Betta hybrids, they can be moved into a different tank without major repercussions or acclimation, as long as the safe (treated, de-chlorinated) water is of similar pH, and temperatures not too different. They have a labyrinth organ, and gain the majority of the oxygen from gasps of air. Fin rot is common with betta keepers, since water conditioning and care is often neglected. To create a better living environment, add real plants. Hornwort is fast growing, produces lots of saturated oxygen in the water, and also negates harmful ammonia and nitrates. A must in any low maintenanced aquarium. These fish are used to living in rice paddies, don't be afraid to give them a crowded planted tank, but let them be able to surface, or else they drown. Good luck!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I had 2 living plants in there, used betta-conditioning stuff in the water, heated with better-water heater and I acclimated their former water to the tank's temperature which I had also let sit for a bit before putting them in. It was as good as I could get it for what money we had to put into it, I'm afraid.
Here was Patriot: The Betta who got me started. He lived 3 years. As always, they never want to cooperate with the camera, and I don't want to blind them to get a pic of their faces. Lol.
She's doing well--the purple one afflicted. Her fins are mostly back and she's eating. Thanks, though! This red one is doing better.

Attachments

• f8bd93c4581d44c1abb2a76a404da78f.jpg
    f8bd93c4581d44c1abb2a76a404da78f.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 55

MuddyMO

Reaction score
That's a gorgeous half moon! Lots of people don't realize how many different betta there are, and the array of colors. I noticed that albinism is nearly non-existent with these (and other Abantoids).

Yeah, you got the super-duper hookup for a betta! That's awesome to hear, you really care about them!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I've never seen an albino--always lacking the characteristic eyes. I love how you recognized Patriot was a half-moon. My nephew got me a $30 gift-card to the pet-store. Patriot (initially red, white, blue, later turning more aqua-green) cost half of that--my most expensive fish so far. lol.
Here was an orange-and-creme female. Sadly, she and her companion died of Tuberculosis.... The only thing to survive it was their plant, of course, so I quarantined that for 3 months before putting it in the community tank. Since that disaster, I haven't used that tank or that bubbler I had in there to keep them active. I had been ecstatic to get a creme one. I was distraught when I realized her companion had TB and it was too late to do anything for either. I've not had much luck with females, I don't know why...
With the first two females I posted in here, I had that same day helped a small family pick out their first betta--they went for a Dumbo male.
Thank you for the compliment... My last memory of him, though, is pretty bad.... Somehow he survived 2 days at the bottom of his tank, never moving anything but a fin and gills... I was so shocked he was still alive, and it hurt badly to have to do it. I could bring myself to crush him, so I took him and put him in the freezer since that was the quickest way I could think of to end him. I talked to my teacher--a former nurse-- and she thinks he had a stroke and couldn't recover, and she suggested I kill him. I really do love my pets--fish and all. And I'm just rambling on... sorry....
I hope the Admin/Mods don't mind a fish thread....
Who has some pretty bettas to show?

Attachments

• 1fd47a1211154fa8aae1ccdff5bae1d4.jpg
    1fd47a1211154fa8aae1ccdff5bae1d4.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 62

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Doing better:
She says Hi and thank you all kindly. [:D]

Attachments

• c40191d531a14a6197a8ce95b5607b3b.jpg