1930s Pepsi Bottle - Louisville KY & others

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jblaylock

Reaction score
I hate to have to do a new post, but the new forum doesn't allow us to update older posts. On a side note, that really needs to be changed. I had a running thread of my Kentucky bottles here As a sidenote, about 2 years ago I won a paper label Louisville bottle from ebay. It was on the Pepsi basketweave bottle but was in really really good shape. Unforunately, the seller never shipped it to me and never responded to my 6 months of emails. This bottle doesn't make up for that one, but it's a start. On to the goods. I'm assuming this is likely the oldest known Pepsi bottle from Louisville. It's in really rough shape, but it could be one of a kind.
IMG_20141204_155458.jpg
IMG_20141204_155450.jpg
Here it is with the other Louisville bottles and the Louisville Crate under them.
IMG_20141204_155605.jpg
Here's my Kentucky Pepsi Shelves. The bottom left is Lexington, bottom right is Louisville. The middle is a Corbin SS & Danville Double Drum. The top is various other towns separated into groups.
IMG_20141204_155623.jpg
Any tips on how to preserve that paper label? The shipper wrapped it in plastic and not paper and some of the label already came off. I want to keep it as is. Thanks for looking. <Edit: malformed link corrected>

jblaylock

Reaction score
So that worked well for you? Have you ever tried it on a Pepsi label, not sure if they would be any different than a whiskey label? I'll try it on some of my other paper labels first. Where do you buy it, craft store/lowes?

Canadacan

Reaction score
Great bottle!..and nice collection btw. I had always wondered about preserving labels, I suppose in extreme cases like the label you have it is warranted. Other than that I use can wraps...which they do change the appearance of the label because of the shinny plastic but give it really good protection. I agree 100%.... the one major down fall on this site is the ability to edit[>:]....and your saying the thread locks out?...after how long?...........PS is it just me ?.....I think you link is broken[:(]Ivan

jblaylock

Reaction score
I normally wouldn't do anything like that to a bottle as I'd think that would affect the value. However, I never plan on selling these and preserving the label is more important than the value. There's basically no collector value anyways with the labels in that rough of condition. The link is broken, not sure what happened and now I can't edit the OP. https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Kentucky-Pepsi-Cola-m598508.aspx Try that. I was told threads without activity lock after 2 months....seems extreme.

carling

Reaction score
I don't know if I would buy any bottles that someone sprayed a chemical sealant on the label. I cringe when I see a nice label someone varnished. I buy Pioneer high quality sheet protectors, and cut the pages to size and wrap around the bottle/label: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Pioneer-12x12-034-Top-Loading-Sheet-Protectors-25-Value-Pack-Scrap-Book-/111500769441?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19f5f6b8a1&nma=true&si=xZnK4KkvjriZKoGXH6MdZrsbld0%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 I buy mine at Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. The package says right on it, "Certified Museum Quality, Archival: Acid, Lignin and PVC Free, and Photo Safe". So they aren't going to further damage your bottle label, they're not going to yellow over time or discolor your label. Also keeps everyone's sticky greasy fingers from damaging the label when anybody, including yourself, picks up the bottle. Package also says, "Photo Copies and Other Printed Material Will Not Stick to the Protectors". In other words, it's not like Saran Wrap that you will find ignorant ebay sellers using for label protection when shipping, or the dumbo bottle collectors I see using on their paper label bottles at shows. The pages are also pretty thin and clear, so the label still looks great under it when displayed. The package says "Optically Clear". Hope this helps,Rick

Canadacan

Reaction score
I just had a look at that thread, great stuff in there! 2 months and locked...ugg, I've been spoiled in the other club I belong to....they have a bottle section but it's a Beer can site[:D] You can go back in a year latter+ and update your thread with an new header or correct information etc. and upload really good size pictures, the downfall...no one will see it, maybe 200-300....here you have like minded people that want to see.I actually only have one USA Pepsi bottle...it's the ACL with the blue on the main field...from Coo's Bay Oregon[:)]I do however collect USA Orange crush...my collection is pretty limited, I have around 12 bottles. Well good luck with preserving that label, I'm sure it wont do any harm...paper is tough to find in good shape and much rarer than ACl's in most cases.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Good info carling!...yea that's what you want..museum quality!...that's what the can wraps are like...they are meant to preserve, lot's of the beer guys use them on their bottles too.Here is one I wrapped But never cut the sheet down...sorry it's not a Pepsi!..lol [;)] [attachment=Jamaica Dry.jpg]

Attachments

• 7db40d37d1644c96a4b65ab16d920cd0.jpg
    7db40d37d1644c96a4b65ab16d920cd0.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 92

carling

Reaction score
Unless you have additional information on the quality of the plastic, I wouldn't recommend the can wraps. Certain types of plastics could ruin a label over time. The can wraps were meant to protect metal painted cans from nicks and handling, not made for paper protection or preservation. I tried long ago to find out if the plastic used in those can wraps was similar to the "Acid, Lignin and PVC Free, and Photo Safe" pages I posted. Nobody could tell me. I don't even use them on my own cans because I don't want to risk them yellowing over time and affecting the paint on the can, especially white paint. Maybe I'm being too paranoid. Rick

jblaylock

Reaction score
carling said:
I don't know if I would buy any bottles that someone sprayed a chemical sealant on the label. I cringe when I see a nice label someone varnished. I buy Pioneer high quality sheet protectors, and cut the pages to size and wrap around the bottle/label: Hope this helps,Rick

Thanks Rick. I'm really not concerned with resale. They will not be resold. Even if they were, in the condition the label is in, they don't really have a value. I'm most concerned with protecting the label as is. I will look into those sheets as well. Thanks for the tip.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky