found a bottle in lake erie, 1880 still full

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glassdave

Reaction score
Hi all, new guy here found your site searching info for a bottle a buddy of mine found. Our corner of Lake Erie drains when when we get stiff offshore winds exposing lots of sea floor and when this happens occasionally we will do some hiking and searching. This last time we found a couple bottles, on marked lake erie bottle works and one my friend found that I am seeking info on. it is marked Dublin Aerated Medicated Water and it still has its wax seal with what I assume is it original content. How rare is it to find one of these still full?

Attachments

• cfdb39c612ac484099d97fb0c595a21a.jpg
    cfdb39c612ac484099d97fb0c595a21a.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 76

sandchip

Reaction score
Way cool find! Would like to see more pictures of it. Are you keeping an eye out for arrowheads as well? Looks like there should be some out there.

sunrunner

Reaction score
looks like an 1880s or 90s ginger ale . it may have come from Canada I've seen a lot with Belfast on them but not Dublin .

glassdave

Reaction score
Jimbo, yes we look for arrow heads all the time. This is at the end of a peninsula and they are found often. Unfortunately not by me yet but i keep an eye out. Its known that this was a hunting ground and the Indians use to drive deer out to the end of the point. A friends son found a fantastic spear head that was roughly four or five inches and perfectly preserved. I will get some more pics. Sun, it is actually embossed "Dublin Aerated Medicated Water" so i am assuming thats what it is (or is that what they called it back then hehe). I have seen some examples on the net that are the same. Never seen or heard of one still with content. Told my buddy to have a swig lol (not!) I wonder how well the wax seal kept the contents preserved and not spoiled by the lake water . . . .

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hi and welcome. I'd find it hard to believe that it's the original contents. Maybe some traces but I'm sure it's got a lot of lake water and sludge in it too.The bottle itself is what is nice to me. If the wax has a seal you may want to document it but I wouldn't hesitate to pull the cork and clean the bottle. I don't say that often and if it were a basement, wall or something indoors find I might think different.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Was it Erie that was once one of the most polluted lakes in the US? I'd be careful when opening it... If I recall, part or Erie even set afire. Great find. Welcome.

Attachments

• 5593daf495fc4442b30c88e76e7c11d7.jpg
    5593daf495fc4442b30c88e76e7c11d7.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 58

glassdave

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
Was it Erie that was once one of the most polluted lakes in the US? I'd be careful when opening it... If I recall, part or Erie even set afire. Great find. Welcome.
while Erie wasnt perfect back in the day, much of that has been exaggerated. I guess part of the Cuyahoga river in Cleveland caught fire up river where there was some excessive dumping going on. I have been swimming in the lake since i was five years old in the early 70's and I am just fine . . . . perfect sight out of all three eyes and complete use of a prehensile tail [8|] lol

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
They dumped everything from used machine parts, paper pulp, and body parts from hospitals, to pesticides, poisons, and garbage in Erie.

glassdave

Reaction score
cowseatmaize said:
Hi and welcome. I'd find it hard to believe that it's the original contents. Maybe some traces but I'm sure it's got a lot of lake water and sludge in it too.The bottle itself is what is nice to me. If the wax has a seal you may want to document it but I wouldn't hesitate to pull the cork and clean the bottle. I don't say that often and if it were a basement, wall or something indoors find I might think different.

It is actually pretty clear but milky so i kinda think it may not be contaminated as far fetched as it sounds, I do agree it is difficult to imagine its a hundred fifty year old ginger ale to though lol. Erie water would be a murky muddy sludge and there really is no sediment in it just a milky white appearance. The wax looks to be very much in tact as well as the cork, neither of us want to disturb any of that. Fascinating little find, cant imagine there are many like it.

glassdave

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
They dumped everything from used machine parts, paper pulp, and body parts from hospitals, to pesticides, poisons, and garbage in Erie.
well . . . . i would have to say I'm glad i didnt find any of that lol it is remarkably clean now.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snidelis