found a bottle in lake erie, 1880 still full

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Since the dawn of man and especially the industrial age there has has been no real clean water in lakes, rivers or oceans. Do you remember the song "Dirty Water"?.Well the Charles river is much cleaner that it was in the 60's but there are still contaminates from hundreds of years of dumping.an will be for hundreds more.It's just a fact of life but fortunately it's coming around.

glassdave

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
Off-topic... why is a sealed bottle in there? Ship Wreck? Accidental dumping? Just one??

not sure really, we were just out hiking when the wind blew the lake out it happens often in the fall. There is an eighteenth century Schooner barge that was beached and wrecked at the turn of the century it was around that site but i have no idea if they are related. You can still see the framework of the sides and we found a large (foot long links) drive chain as well. We found this bottle and the erie bottle works bottle about fifty yards from it. That area was one of the old shipping ports of Toledo and there are remnants of docks and things out there. One is called Dynamite dock and is a submerged group of several hundred pilings that use to be a port for dynamite back then. Interesting story about the pollution. I am also an avid Kayaker and there was a guy who did the trip from Fort Wayne Indiana to Toledo back in the 70's and again about six years ago. The thing he said he noticed most from then to now was pollution. Now my gut first thought was from the 70's to now must be way worse. Quite the opposite, he said on that first trip it was not uncommon to come across large river side dumping grounds of all sorts of stuff. Washers and dryers, tires, water tanks, general junk. He said now all of that is gone and from Ft Wayne to Toledo he ran across none of it and said he could count the amount of tires he saw on one hand. One of my customers is the USGS and i chatted with them about the condition of lakes and rivers and while we are not out of the woods the conservation efforts are paying off.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've done river cleanups since I was in the boyscouts in the 60's and MANY other groups still do. I still do them annually for an organization on the Assebet, Sudbury and Concord. rivers here in Mass and sometimes just for the enjoyment of it.Invasive plants like water-chestnut, millfoil etc. I also try to help with.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Thanks for posting your round bottom bottle. That's a great find and makes for an interesting conversation. I would be looking for more bottles around those old docks. There's no telling what you might find

MuddyMO

Reaction score
Your find is too cool! No, finding pre-1900 bottles with contents is quite rare. Those contents look legit (liquid isn't all the way full, if it were submerged with lake water), but to test, turn upside down, and look for air bubbles entering, or contents dripping.

That bottle is worthy of a nice wooden stand, to hold it horizontally. Would look real professional. I've got an easy (and cheap) way to make a stand out of rough pallet wood, 4 nails, and it will look just as old as the bottle. Not to hijack, but may share with everyone who's got ballasts and torpedoes. Only trick is finding or making small wood planks with bark intact.

Those contents may not be ginger ale, like so many in that shape are assumed. I've seen one H. Cairns St. Louis sealed bottle with contents inside (circa 1880's). A small rectangular sticker with red ink said GINGER BEER, affixed under the primary embossing, and the contents were burnt red and yellow separations. Well, assuming ginger beer is synonymous with ginger ale, that is.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Is a bottle like this worth more with the Contents? I know in the Beer Can collecting hobby they are not worth more & 9 out of 10 beer can collectors will drain the contents. LEON.

Btl_Dvr

Reaction score
I'm also wondering why it was sealed w/ wax. I don't recall other cork bottles sealed that way, just corked. Maybe it was refilled w/ something else then wax dipped? Just a thought.Jay

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Maybe it was a case of a sinking ship? Throw everything overboard to save the crew.Just a rather heroic/romantic thought.[8|]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ally_Mac