J J Freedley Norristown Pa Pontiled Porter (Slug Plate) Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tonytiger1949

Reaction score
Does anybody have a J J Freedley Norristown, Pa 'fat' pontiled porter (slug plate) bottle available for trade or cash?Thanks,Tony Z
B74EF9D3DD86450AAA6C5EBA90B6BFEC.jpg

tonytiger1949

Reaction score
One of my favorite vintage holiday films on TCM is 'the Bishop's Wife' (1947) starring Cary Grant, Loretta Young, and David Niven.
I also like film 'Remember the Night' (1940) starring Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray.

tonytiger1949

Reaction score
To follow up on the holiday film "The Bishop's Wife"...starring Cary Grant. Cary plays the part of an angel sent down from heaven to help the bishop build a new cathedral. Well...he also helps an old history professor re-write some missing chapters of ancient history...and he keeps the old guy fortified in his task by constantly refilling his bottle of sherry...it's a great film...one of many great films shown on TCM.
58.%252520Dudley%252520refills%252520glasses_thumb%25255B5%25255D.jpg

tonytiger1949

Reaction score
I'm still looking for that elusive...J J Freedley Norristown Pa Pontiled Porter (Slug Plate) Bottle.A few poetic verses spoken by Sir Percy Blakeney in the classical play "The Scarlet Pimpernel."
"We seek him here, we seek him there
Those Frenchies seek him everywhere!
Is he in heaven? Or is he in hell?
That demmed Elusive Pimpernel?"

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Tony; I don't think we have had any contact. I have a lot of glass collected over 77 years now. I have read a lot of books and really got into mouth blown glass after I retired from working for Thatcher Glass as an engineer member of their Central Mold Shop and their purchase of the Toledo Mold Company, in Ohio. I had been to Thatcher's Elmira glass plant at the age of nine to see how milk bottles were made. as a kid - i was always asking how everyth9ng was made. So when it came time for College I went to the old Mechanics Institute in Rochester NY. It was a co-op school - where you went to school for 10 weeks - then went to work for 10 weeks. Every time I went to work at a different factory - to learn how all the different things were made. From there I was drafted into the Army, and because of my back ground sent me to the Army Engineering Schoolo in Ft. Belvoire to teach. From there they sent me to Ft. Leonardwood MO. to work in a big Army School - where we graduated about 700 GIs every week. Eight or nine years later I went to work at Thatcher Glass.I got my firs bottle at the age of 9 and have collected for life since then. At this point I know I don't have one of your bottles. I assume that by "slug plate" you are talking about the table held bottom that the mold closed around. I looked at your picture - and I have a lot of black glass. I specialized in Ancient Age Gins for several years, then in Saratoga Spring Water bottles for several years - my interest was in how they made them at different methods to speed up their delivery. The demand was greater that the making capabilities.At this point in my old age, I have collected a good amount of glass pieces - with the mouth blown objects being my main interest. Because the markings on the glass tell me how they made them. Nuts? My better half thinks so - but we have been happy together for almost 65 years. RED Matthews

tonytiger1949

Reaction score
Hey Red...thanks for sharing some of the interesting adventures and important accomplishments of your life so far (wishing you many more). You certainty know a lot first hand about the glass-making industry and bottle collecting. I really enjoy collecting and searching for these elusive glass bottle treasures. My better half of almost 44 years is very understanding of my quest...thank goodness, and she enjoys collecting some vintage beaded bags and ceramic chickens (farm girl) as well. And Red...thank you for using your mechanical engineering skills to teach our soldiers at the army engineering schools at Ft. Belvoire and Ft. Leonardwood. What a great contribution on your part to help keep our great country free...Tony

tonytiger1949

Reaction score
No Freedley bottles available...how about a Toram's Brown Stout bottle...anybody have one available for sale or trade?Thanks...Tony

tonytiger1949

Reaction score
Saturday turned out to be a beautiful day at BottleFest here in Pennsylvania...I picked up a couple of nice Pa sodas. After the show my wife and I ate at Yoder's Restaurant in New Holland...delicious Pennsylvania Dutch home-style food...the fresh blueberry pie was a poem!Here's another tough one that I'm still looking for: Josh Scott (Downingtown)...if anyone has one for sale or trade let me know.Thanks...Tony

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLOWE94