Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Bottle Master

Strange Color Ayer's Sarsaparilla

Here is an odd one. I don't think I have seen a bottle in this color, particularly of pontil age. Thoughts? http://www.ebay.com/itm/111560984642

Re: Strange Color Ayer's Sarsaparilla

I've seen that color before. I have seen a dealer in a nearby antique shop that nukes his bottles. Purple and that smoke tint are his specialties. That one looks to be that smoke tint color. He sells a ton of nuked bottles.

Wow I didn't realize it had a open pontil. I have never seen or heard of a Ayers of this type with a open pontil. I may be wrong on this one.

Hello Brandon, compare with this recent purchase of mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251677217021...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I think these are nuked and the bottle has an unusual color because of the small amount of magnesium in the glass batch when blown. I've know of other bottles where weird colors were produced by this method (as cokes). Dean

Senior Member Bottle Master andy volkerts's Avatar

I think it may be nuked also, and just about all of the Ayers products in their early bottles were pontiled, including their ague cure, antidote to malaria bottle......Andy

Without a doubt it's been nuked. Beware of anything coming out of Florida. I posted on this some time back. Email the seller and ask. Even though these guys are reluctant to put it on their posting, they sometimes will come out and tell you they're nuking. As I've said before, I don't have a problem with the nuking as long as they come out and state so. After all, there is some cost associated with what they do.

For more information, here is a good article done years ago by th National Insulators Association.

www.nia.org/altered/

As I've said before, I don't have a problem with the nuking as long as they come out and state so. After all, there is some cost associated with what they do.*********************************************** *******************I'm sorry, I really don't want to start a fight and you and everyone else is entitled to an opinion but "Nuking", staining, heating, faking, reproductions, replicas, etc. has really put a damper on the bottle collecting hobby. "Nuking" produces a color of glass that is in no way possible naturally. The purple they get from glass with Manganese in it turns a shade that will never be achieved by natural or artificial UV rays. The bottle in this thread was originally aqua, a naturally occurring color, and the "Nuking" ruined the bottle forever in my opinion. If I were to view someone's collection and noticed even one color altered or fake bottle and the owner admitted they knew it was fake I would suspect the entire collection as potentially phony and would immediately lose interest. The above is simply my opinion and not intended to offend anyone. Jim

Nothing makes me more upset than people taking bottles which make this hobby great and JUST RUINING THEM AND SELLING THEM FOR STUPID AMOUNTS OF MONEY!!!!!!!!! IT MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!!![:@][:@] Sorry about that I just hate seeing old embossed bottles that have value to local collectors and morons messing with their color and just ruining the bottle. Just my opinion!

And unfortunately, it seems that most of the people who are doing this to the better bottles live in Florida. I've seen too many 'citron' or 'gasoline' colored bottles that would be beautiful if original.I relate this to putting purple stain on a beautiful birds-eye maple dining table, or tiger oak sideboard.

Senior Member Bottle Master cowseatmaize's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by botlguy
    and the "Nuking" ruined the bottle forever in my opinion.
    Maybe not forever Jim. Matt (remember him?) has reversed them in a kiln and sent the results to the fohbc (I think). One bottle he reversed was a smokey straw colored pontil historical flask.I forget which one but it went back to aqua and two Vaseline jars, one with manganese and the other selenium and both went back clear.