Strange Color Ayer's Sarsaparilla

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epgorge

Reaction score
It seems as if the link now brings you to a home page rather than the listing with a preposterous price tag.Joel

nhpharm

Reaction score
Sold for $390.00. Pretty sad that they pulled the warning auction but not the fraudulent auction. There were 14 different bidders on this bottle!

epgorge

Reaction score
too bad we didn't know who purchased it so they could be alerted to the fact they paid way more than they should have and maybe they would create sales trouble for the seller.Joel

andy volkerts

Reaction score
That's one of the reasons I call that auction flea-bay and other names, all they want to do is protect their bottom line re fees and such, they will do nothing much to stop fraud, thats why law enforcement calls them America's Fence.[>:]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The search function still doesn't work to well on this site but if it did I bet you find hundreds of posts about nuked bottles.This is just one more.

nhpharm

Reaction score
eBay is definitely frustrating sometimes. The other day I listed an old bottle from the 1920's from Havana, Cuba and they pulled it because they claimed it violated the US embargo on Cuban goods. Seriously?

epgorge

Reaction score
epgorge said:
Irritates me as well.I complained to Greg Spurgeon who you know is a leader in the world of color because he was selling "zapped" purple (as he calls it) on his NAG auction and he acknowledged it was just a few pieces in a larger and more authentic collection and "what was he to do?"! He was contracted to sell the collection and he did just that. I thought it almost sacreligious.Joel
Though it didn't bother me enough to stop buying from him. What was he to do?

westernglassaddict

Reaction score
One slightly positive aspect of ebay is the numerous irradiated bottles popping up.You see so many nuked bottles, it gets pretty easy to spot it. As frustrated as I get thinking people are being "duped", I have chosen to let them figure it out on their own or I get this urge to intervene and save someone...it is an act of futulity.The "seller" claims the piece is real...the "buyer" is wanting to believe it is the real deal. I believe most experienced collectors recognize the phony "topaz" shade when aqua bottles are nuked. The mega dark amethyst, and other shades stick out like a sore thumb after awhile. I have been torn between feeling sorry for the poor suckers paying big bucks for that crap, and feeling angry that some seller is actually selling the junk as genuine. All I can do is control my own choices. I will never sell a knowingly altered bottle, and will educate others if they are standing next to me at a bottle show...other than that, it is a definite lesson. I love my deep cobalt National Bitters ear of corn...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu