Strange Color Ayer's Sarsaparilla

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

andy volkerts

Reaction score
TROG said:
botlguy said:
nhpharm said:
I LUV IT! ! ! ! Funny / Sad part is, probably won't make a difference to those bidding on it. Folks buy the deep purple ones because they like the color.
This listing has been put on ebay by a fellow forum member. Hopefully some of the potential buyers will see this listing and decide not to bid on this and any other like bottles. There are several sellers with artificially coloured bottles who do not state this and it really is fraud. I wonder whether the FOBC would have any clout with ebay over this fraudulent practice.http://www.antiquepotlidcollector.com/
A fellow forum member says it all!! You can hardly trust anyone any more!! I get truly pi--ed off when I see this type of fakery by members of our hobby. THERE is no excuse for dealing or selling these kinds of fakes, because even if you make diclosures the next guy wont. These bottles should be destroyed when discovered. We all have the ability to stop this kind of behavior whenever we can. I have turned these types of auction in to flea bay time after time, but they will do nothing to stop these dealers. The FOHBC has tried to do some things also but the sellers and the auction sites, are making there fees from these items and will not stop. Al that is left to do is call out this behavior whenever we can............Andy

epgorge

Reaction score
Irritates me as well.I complained to Greg Spurgeon who you know is a leader in the world of color because he was selling "zapped" purple (as he calls it) on his NAG auction and he acknowledged it was just a few pieces in a larger and more authentic collection and "what was he to do?"! He was contracted to sell the collection and he did just that. I thought it almost sacreligious.Joel

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
TROG said:
This listing has been put on ebay by a fellow forum member. Hopefully some of the potential buyers will see this listing and decide not to bid on this and any other like bottles. There are several sellers with artificially coloured bottles who do not state this and it really is fraud. I wonder whether the FOBC would have any clout with ebay over this fraudulent practice.http://www.antiquepotlidcollector.com/
Maybe for you but I think it would be the FTC here. I doubt they would/could do anything either.It is a curious thing that so much of it comes from Florida though.I also notice a lot of bottles from there seams like they could be imported but sold as shipwreck finds, just not saying from where. [8|]
[/quote]

epgorge

Reaction score
Thanks Eric,I have been sick again. Trying to make it to spring and beyond. Happy New Year to all my fellow collectors. Keep it honest and keep it safe.Joel

epgorge

Reaction score
Dean said:
Hello Brandon, compare with this recent purchase of mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/251677217021?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I think these are nuked and the bottle has an unusual color because of the small amount of magnesium in the glass batch when blown. I've know of other bottles where weird colors were produced by this method (as cokes). Dean
Dean,Check out his other bottles and you will find many "zapped" bottles for sale. He/she has some that are authentic, again, giving validity to statements that some altered glass brings suspicion to all the items for sale. Beware and don't purchase from these people. Period!!Ever!!!!Joel

JustGlass

Reaction score
I have never seen a open pontil Ayers Sarsaparilla. I've been collecting bottles for years and been to many shows and I have never seen one until now. I have seen some of their other uncommon bottle that were pontiled. What was the original color of this bottle? I'm guessing flint glass, or was it aqua?

epgorge

Reaction score
I would think it could have been flint. It is a rare bottle indeed. That is the problem of people trying to induce color, they change otherwise, valuable collectors items into junk.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I understand that to get that color by Nuking, the bottle had to be aqua in the beginning. and yes in any color it is rare except this color, it is now ruined, but last I looked it was fetching 200.00 dollars, disgusting!!!.......Andy

sandchip

Reaction score
Did ebay pull the warning listing by epackage02? They really suck if they did.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi