Strange Color Ayer's Sarsaparilla

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sandchip

Reaction score
I don't mind saying it. I got a big problem with it. Unless the bottle (like a modern arrowhead) is permanently marked that it has been altered, then somebody, someday, will sell it as original. That is theft by deception, which is wrong. No way around it. It doesn't matter if the first seller only says that it had been altered, because the next person may not.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
It's one thing to nuke a $1 slick, say it's nuked, and sell it accordingly. It's another to sell a pontiled bottle, suggesting it's a rare original color, for big money (and a pontiled Ayers with a "flash" in the shoulder is big money over $100). Of course, every bottle that's nuked stands the likelihood of being re-sold as original color even if the first seller says it was altered. I've seen pontiled umbrella inks in this smoky color selling for over $1K. Someone who doesn't know better is getting ripped off with those, and I've now come to not trust odd colors, and colored filaments in otherwise aqua bottles, no matter the source, because of all this nuking of bottles. Jim G

glass man

Reaction score
Not long ago I saw a CHERO COLA in this same color..I wrote the person and asked had i been nuked and he said he believed it had...but did not have in the description of the bottle on EBAY!!JAMIE

sandchip

Reaction score
Also, aside from it being wrong, it also casts doubt on authentic pieces that are in oddball colors.

TROG

Reaction score
botlguy said:
nhpharm said:
I LUV IT! ! ! ! Funny / Sad part is, probably won't make a difference to those bidding on it. Folks buy the deep purple ones because they like the color.
This listing has been put on ebay by a fellow forum member. Hopefully some of the potential buyers will see this listing and decide not to bid on this and any other like bottles. There are several sellers with artificially coloured bottles who do not state this and it really is fraud. I wonder whether the FOBC would have any clout with ebay over this fraudulent practice.http://www.antiquepotlidcollector.com/

epgorge

Reaction score
botlguy said:
As I've said before, I don't have a problem with the nuking as long as they come out and state so. After all, there is some cost associated with what they do.******************************************************************I'm sorry, I really don't want to start a fight and you and everyone else is entitled to an opinion but "Nuking", staining, heating, faking, reproductions, replicas, etc. has really put a damper on the bottle collecting hobby. "Nuking" produces a color of glass that is in no way possible naturally. The purple they get from glass with Manganese in it turns a shade that will never be achieved by natural or artificial UV rays. The bottle in this thread was originally aqua, a naturally occurring color, and the "Nuking" ruined the bottle forever in my opinion. If I were to view someone's collection and noticed even one color altered or fake bottle and the owner admitted they knew it was fake I would suspect the entire collection as potentially phony and would immediately lose interest. The above is simply my opinion and not intended to offend anyone. Jim
I agree with Jim. It is a practice that has hurt the collection hobby. It is most certainly nuked. I have stopped buying from those who sell nuked glass of any sort. Especially fruit jars. Regarding eBay; Someone would need to purchase an item, then complain of its non-authenticity and then, if the seller refused to reimburse, one could push the issue. Other than that, it is "let the buyer beware".Joel

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Jim, I used to get pretty upset as well. I realized its a fight I'll never win. Knowledgeable collectors know better...for the most part. These people prey on the unknowing or unsuspecting. I've become realistic about what nuker's do. If people want a dark purple jar and are willing to pay $50 for a $5 jar, so be it.

Don't get me wrong, there should be a certain level of ethics associated with the hobby and life in general. Anytime money is involved and greed sets in most people throw morals out the window. What a shame.

botlguy

Reaction score
I too am resigned to the inevitable and I realize there is nothing I can do about it. It still makes me angry. However, when I hear that folks who call themselves "Antique Bottle" collectors don't object it riles me up some. "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing". I hate dishonesty in any form and simply can't keep quiet in spite of all the warnings I receive. Sorry, I really don't mean to rant. Believe it or not, I am controlling myself. Jim

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18