Strange Color Ayer's Sarsaparilla

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JustGlass

Reaction score
I've seen that color before. I have seen a dealer in a nearby antique shop that nukes his bottles. Purple and that smoke tint are his specialties. That one looks to be that smoke tint color. He sells a ton of nuked bottles.

JustGlass

Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize it had a open pontil. I have never seen or heard of a Ayers of this type with a open pontil. I may be wrong on this one.

Dean

Reaction score

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I think it may be nuked also, and just about all of the Ayers products in their early bottles were pontiled, including their ague cure, antidote to malaria bottle......Andy

icollectfruitjars

Reaction score
Without a doubt it's been nuked. Beware of anything coming out of Florida. I posted on this some time back. Email the seller and ask. Even though these guys are reluctant to put it on their posting, they sometimes will come out and tell you they're nuking. As I've said before, I don't have a problem with the nuking as long as they come out and state so. After all, there is some cost associated with what they do.

For more information, here is a good article done years ago by th National Insulators Association.

www.nia.org/altered/

botlguy

Reaction score
As I've said before, I don't have a problem with the nuking as long as they come out and state so. After all, there is some cost associated with what they do.******************************************************************I'm sorry, I really don't want to start a fight and you and everyone else is entitled to an opinion but "Nuking", staining, heating, faking, reproductions, replicas, etc. has really put a damper on the bottle collecting hobby. "Nuking" produces a color of glass that is in no way possible naturally. The purple they get from glass with Manganese in it turns a shade that will never be achieved by natural or artificial UV rays. The bottle in this thread was originally aqua, a naturally occurring color, and the "Nuking" ruined the bottle forever in my opinion. If I were to view someone's collection and noticed even one color altered or fake bottle and the owner admitted they knew it was fake I would suspect the entire collection as potentially phony and would immediately lose interest. The above is simply my opinion and not intended to offend anyone. Jim

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Nothing makes me more upset than people taking bottles which make this hobby great and JUST RUINING THEM AND SELLING THEM FOR STUPID AMOUNTS OF MONEY!!!!!!!!! IT MAKES ME SO MAD!!!!!![:mad:][:mad:] Sorry about that I just hate seeing old embossed bottles that have value to local collectors and morons messing with their color and just ruining the bottle. Just my opinion!

MichaelFla

Reaction score
And unfortunately, it seems that most of the people who are doing this to the better bottles live in Florida. I've seen too many 'citron' or 'gasoline' colored bottles that would be beautiful if original.I relate this to putting purple stain on a beautiful birds-eye maple dining table, or tiger oak sideboard.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
botlguy said:
and the "Nuking" ruined the bottle forever in my opinion.
Maybe not forever Jim. Matt (remember him?) has reversed them in a kiln and sent the results to the fohbc (I think). One bottle he reversed was a smokey straw colored pontil historical flask.I forget which one but it went back to aqua and two Vaseline jars, one with manganese and the other selenium and both went back clear.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora