W. HEKELNKAEMPER ATCHISON KANSAS PONY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
For sure! I had to look a few times to decipher that name. Lots of Germans here in Texas and I think Atchison was also settled by Germans.

nhpharm

Reaction score
For sure! I had to look a few times to decipher that name. Lots of Germans here in Texas and I think Atchison was also settled by Germans.

stephengray

Reaction score
I don't know how rare the pony blob is but I have this little bit newer hutchinson that I just got in a trade. I will try to find out a rarity for you from the guy I got this one from.

Attachments

• 6D73A5474333407DB7BAC84D09E16C9A.jpg
    6D73A5474333407DB7BAC84D09E16C9A.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 324

nhpharm

Reaction score
As a follow-up, I am starting to think that HEKELNKAEMPER must have distributed in Galveston at some point. Although I have only found one whole example of this bottle, I have now found two additional broken examples on different lots. That is more broken/whole examples than I have found of many of the early Galveston bottles.

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Great looking soda! I just googled the family name and came up with a brief but informative history. Seems 'ol Hekel move to Kansas in 1863 and began bottling soda in 1864 and was the first of its kind of business in Kansas(?) He is listed as passing in 1881 in Atchison. Your soda looks right for the 60's context you were digging, as I notice in general the off-center of the state abbreviations were in style right up to the earliest 1870's. The A&DHC variants also seem to predate the other glass makers of similar molds like C&I and W. Mc., at least around this part of Missouri. I have 2 similar mold styles from a soda here in Hannibal, same company but one has A&DHC and the other C&I. The A&DHC is clearly more crude and older in general appearance to the C&I and I would assume yours would be same time period, closer to the mid 1860's as opposed to later. Just a speculation base on empirical observation.....Jack

nhpharm

Reaction score
Dug another of these in Galveston this past Sunday. This makes two intact and two broken so far on 4 different lots spread over 15 blocks. There has got to be a story about how these got to Galveston and who was using/distributing them!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Dug another of these in Galveston this past Sunday. This makes two intact and two broken so far on 4 different lots spread over 15 blocks. There has got to be a story about how these got to Galveston and who was using/distributing them!

I seen that. nice bottle. LEON.

nebrokla87

Reaction score
I don't have the Kansas book any more but I do remember there being a good long story of the history of this firm I used to have a couple of there early crowns believe they were open up until the 1960s I know there was a lot of travel along along the rail roads back then you can tell the dumps in Oklahoma that are close to rail roads they have allot of bottles from different towns I've found broken Hutch's from multiple Texas towns and Missouri towns in Guthrie ok. You should get all of Johnnie Fletcher's books there great https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Editio...Fletcher-Autographed-2353-Items-/372164075964

Last edited:

bottle-bud

Reaction score
Here's a nifty little ad I found in the June 28, 1865 Atchison Daily Champion newspaper. Super bottle you got there!

Saloon ad.PNG

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi